Forum Features -- Look here

Started by Fat Cat, January 23, 2005, 02:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fat Cat

I think I have restored all the features that existed on the old host. If someone sees something missing or something that was enabled that is not now let me know.

I have added a few new features but they are not actively visable. There is now a mechanism in place to eliminate the double posts. I also installed a tool to wrap long lines of text like real long website URLs from places like ebay. The last one is one that sets the redirect time from the pages like the posting page to a lower time so when you post a message it will redirect to the post in 1 second instead of 5. This should take care of the problem with posts not appearing in the forum until someone posts a message or reply because the post was not viewed after posting.

I have not installed a printer friendly page option yet as the only one written for the software is not compatible with some of the other changes we have made. Sorry Bruce.  :cry: But the good news on that one is the next version of this software is about 2-3 months away from public use and it has that as a standard feature. So it will be coming.

Is there anything you might like to see installed or included that is not here? I can look and see if there is an addin for that. Just post a message here and I will look into it.

Enjoy

Frank

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Is there anything you might like to see installed or included that is not here? I can look and see if there is an addin for that. Just post a message here and I will look into it.

Enjoy

Frank

Web cam  :?   :wink:  :lol:  :lol:
just kidding

That was actually quite painless for all of us! Hope it wasn't real bad for you
Debb

KustomLincolnLady

FYI I'm testing this! I think when I posted then said to return to the forum that it took me back to my post I just posted?
Debb

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "KustomLincolnLady"FYI I'm testing this! I think when I posted then said to return to the forum that it took me back to my post I just posted?
Debb

Yep that's what happens in case you didn't know  :wink:
Debb

Fat Cat

Quote from: "KustomLincolnLady"Yep that's what happens in case you didn't know  :wink:
Debb

I do know that is why I posted this

QuoteThe last one is one that sets the redirect time from the pages like the posting page to a lower time so when you post a message it will redirect to the post in 1 second instead of 5. This should take care of the problem with posts not appearing in the forum until someone posts a message or reply because the post was not viewed after posting.

It is supposed to do that. If you DO NOT view the post it will not show in the post listing page. That is why there were so many double posts with the same or similar text. People would post the message and then not view it, but go back to the forum index. The post would not be listed because it had never been written into the forum list. This time around I set the redirect time to the minimum so that the page would be viewed and then added to the list.

KustomLincolnLady

well ok then!!  sorry I didn't read that close enough  
do you still love me  :cry:
Debb

Fat Cat

Quote from: "KustomLincolnLady"well ok then!!  sorry I didn't read that close enough  
Debb

If I say yes that would imply that I loved you before and I can not afford to have people think I am capable of something like that. So I will just say no comment. :)

KustomLincolnLady

Quote from: "Fat Cat"
Quote from: "KustomLincolnLady"well ok then!!  sorry I didn't read that close enough  
Debb

If I say yes that would imply that I loved you before and I can not afford to have people think I am capable of something like that. So I will just say no comment. :)

:shock:   Your always so technical, LOL

Frank...I thought you might take this opportunity to weed out the undesirables.....Guess Not.....I still got in :P
"The one who dies with the most friends wins"

unklian

One suggestion.
Can you turn off "notify me when a repy is posted" ?
Leave the box,just change the default setting.

Thanks for all your hard work.

rooster

Does new board support the posting of links in are messages, having troble doing that in a message!

rooster

http://www.streetrodtech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=796&highlight=

It looks like any older links saved from RRT#3 dont work, there address has changed. to streetrodtech.com

I guess the thing to do is bring them up again and save them unless you have something else in mind.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "rooster"http://www.streetrodtech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=796&highlight=

It looks like any older links saved from RRT#3 dont work, there address has changed. to streetrodtech.com

I guess the thing to do is bring them up again and save them unless you have something else in mind.

No the address has not changed to streetrodtech.com you can access the site from either streetrodtech.com or roddingroundtable.com The reason you never saw streetrodtech.com before last week was it can take as long as a week to transfer a domain name from one server location to another. So I have 2 different domain names that point to the same set of files. I setup streetrodtech.com on this server 2 weeks ago so that the DNS was working when I made the change and the site would be off line as little as possible. I transfered the roddingroundtable.com domain after I shut the site down last friday. It appears to be working for me as of this writing so it should be working for most of you already and if not it will be soon.

So to recap

http://www.streetrodtech.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=796&highlight= is the same exact page as
http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=796&highlight=

and you can access and post to that thread from either address and it will appear just fine. Also it will look and feel exactly the same from either location.

river1

frank,
i'm hav'in a prob.

when i use my streetrodtech bookmark it doesn't remember who i am, even tho i check the remember me box. after i log in and go to the forum page it doesn't mark which posts are new.

as far as i know when i use my RRT bookmark it doesn't seem to the above.

any thoughts?

thanks in advance jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "river1"frank,
i'm hav'in a prob.

when i use my streetrodtech bookmark it doesn't remember who i am, even tho i check the remember me box. after i log in and go to the forum page it doesn't mark which posts are new.

as far as i know when i use my RRT bookmark it doesn't seem to the above.

any thoughts?

thanks in advance jim

Check out http://www.roddingroundtable.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=153 and then just sub in streetrodtech.com instead. I know I had to do the same thing today with both the roddingroundtable.com and streetrodtech.com cookies before it would remember me.

This usually happens after I make changes to the cookies and I did that today.