What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Well last night I did something I don't often do , I bought parts for my T . I bought a full set of reworked fenders so that my car will now be all steel . I am not much of a body man , my progress grinds down to a crawl when I do body work , and the front fenders I have would have introduced me to yet another steep learning curve ! The fenders I bought are blasted , rust repaired and reshaped with only a minor bit of work required before paint . The work they will need is something I am capable of doing . KB you are off the hook , I will no longer be sending you my beater fenders ! Bob , you are back to the top of the list at KB's pound em and paint em emporium ! I might have to either get a swap meet table or else start a garage clean out project of my own with all the spares I now seem to have .

kb426

^^^^^^
Merry Christmas to me! LOL
TEAM SMART

UGLY OLDS

Trust me Chimp.....That's not the ONLY list that I am on the top of..... :shock:  :roll:  :?  :oops:

Bob.. :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

WZ JUNK

Finished welding the hood on the 54.  After grinding the welds, the hood is oil canning.  So now I need to figure the best way to shrink the oil can areas.  I am thinking of buying or making a shrinking disc but I do not have any experience with using the disc.  I have shrunk metal in the past by heating a small area. Striking it with a pecking hammer and then quenching it with a wet towel.  This method worked in the past but it has been some time since I did it.  

Overnight I will plan a strategy.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, I saw people take a wore out grinder disc and turn it over, heat the panel and use the rag. I did that with a 5" disc on my small grinder. I wasn't able to do as much as needed so in some areas, I was tempted to cut a small slit and weld it up. That sounds counter productive, doesn't it. What I wasn't able to figure out from watching videos was how bad was the oil canning and how much did they remove. The only person that I watch that seems to have it down pat is the fellow that Frank mentioned that's building the Willys in Australia. He's really good with metal work. I realize I'm not much help but you might try the reverse disc before you buy anything. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

You want a shrinking disc? Go to Goodwill and buy a stainless steel pan lid. Take the handle off and drill a 5/8" hole in the center. You have a shrinking disc.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Does the stainless build heat faster than the wore out grinder disc? If it does, I'll have a reason to visit Goodwill. 50 miles away. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "enjenjo"You want a shrinking disc? Go to Goodwill and buy a stainless steel pan lid. Take the handle off and drill a 5/8" hole in the center. You have a shrinking disc.

I may try this approach.  I am curious about the technique for shrinking a large area that has no lumps.  Do I make a lump with a hammer and then heat it with the disc ?

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

idrivejunk

Some effect can be had with fine DA paper if the shaft locks on your DA, and some types of roloc crud stripping discs can apply heat quickly and locally. In some cases I have had luck zapping a MIG dot or two to apply heat, but the side of the metal that you zap is key with that much heat. Try steering the heat with compressed air instead for a better visual as you guide the cooling metal. Also, shrinking tips for stud guns are available cheep. A guy might try just using the tip with no stud. I have not tried a shrinking disc.

Things went fine on the job today but not much progress. Helped yank the engine and trans, cleaned up, had customer visit, helped Bryan making an inner cowl piece for the 53 cab, and only welded up about a dozen spots myself. I thought it was Thursday until I saw trash cans out on my street this morning. You know how those days go. Off Friday though and boy am I looking forward to that.
Matt

enjenjo

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "enjenjo"You want a shrinking disc? Go to Goodwill and buy a stainless steel pan lid. Take the handle off and drill a 5/8" hole in the center. You have a shrinking disc.

I may try this approach.  I am curious about the technique for shrinking a large area that has no lumps.  Do I make a lump with a hammer and then heat it with the disc ?

John

Run the disc over the high spot with moderate pressure on it. The high spots will turn blue. cool with compressed air or compressed air with water mist in it. If the high spots become low spots, work them from the other side as high spots.

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

WZ JUNK

That's the plan.  I am hitting the flea markets today, looking for stainless lids.  I bought a couple this morning but I think I can do better.  I gave .50 cents for each lid.  So I have $1 wrapped up in this project already.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

58 Yeoman

Wow! I'm amazed. I'm amazed that John can find flea markets open during the week! Around here, they're mostly on the weekends, if there are any. Oh...and the heat shrink is pretty amazing, too. :shock:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

Dang, John! I'm worried about you fixed incomers. Do I need to make a donation? :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "kb426"Dang, John! I'm worried about you fixed incomers. Do I need to make a donation? :)

I may start one of those go fund me accounts.  I bought a bunch of lids today. I will post pictures later.  I may start a separate topic on shrinking with a pot lid but I had better see if it works first.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

WZ JUNK

This is the one that I think will work.  The other photo is of the alternates.

All of them were 50 cents each.  It was tough but I laid out the cash.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck