'01 Taurus opinions?

Started by purplepickup, December 30, 2006, 11:55:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

I'd like to get  opinions from some of you guys that work on late model cars more than I do.  

An older neighbor lady is selling her '01 Taurus SES with a 24 valve 3.0 Duratec V6.  She had it serviced regularly.  It's got 51K miles and the price is right.  I looked online for reviews and didn't find anything in particular that has been a problem with them.  I drove it and it's quick, quiet, brakes didn't pulse, and tranny shifted great.  Has anyone seen any problems with these cars?
George

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "purplepickup"I'd like to get  opinions from some of you guys that work on late model cars more than I do.  

An older neighbor lady is selling her '01 Taurus SES with a 24 valve 3.0 Duratec V6.  She had it serviced regularly.  It's got 51K miles and the price is right.  I looked online for reviews and didn't find anything in particular that has been a problem with them.  I drove it and it's quick, quiet, brakes didn't pulse, and tranny shifted great.  Has anyone seen any problems with these cars?

when the trans axle shreds , it is a big expen$e to repair it.  Gear train lube loss chews it all up.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

sirstude

About 95 or 96 Ford changed out the problem transmission. Before that, it was a real issue.  

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

Glen

Quote from: "purplepickup"'01 Taurus SES with a 24 valve 3.0 Duratec V6.  

If you PM me the vin number I can tell you some info you would not have access to.   :wink:

purplepickup

Quote from: "Glen"If you PM me the vin number I can tell you some info you would not have access to.   :wink:
Thanks Glen.  I called the lady with the car but she isn't home.  When I get the VIN I'll PM you.
George

Fat Cat

Quote from: "purplepickup"I'd like to get  opinions from some of you guys that work on late model cars more than I do.  

My Ex had a 97 with the Duratec V-6. The engine went south about a year after she got it. It seems that Walmart Express lube was changing the oil and only putting 5 quarts of oil in it. It is a 8 quart system. The cams are set into aluminum pedestals on the head with no bearing surfaces at all. They were starved for oil and galled the pedestal.

mopar2dr

I owned a 97 for three years and it was a trouble free car. State of Michigan has one on the surplus auction at http://www.michigan.gov/doingbusiness Just click on Buying from the State or use this link to get there http://my.bidcorp.com/mibid/index.asp Also note they have some machine tools,Lathes and such for bid at Plainwell just North of Kalamazoo.
I got lost in thought, it was unfamiliar territory!

tomslik

Quote from: "Fat Cat"

The cams are set into aluminum pedestals on the head with no bearing surfaces at all. They were starved for oil and galled the pedestal.

that's a pretty common setup, very few ohc engines have cam bearings anymore.
i really haven't seen too many problems with the late model taurus' and we do have a few that come in for maintainence work...
i hate driving them but that's my opinion....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

48ford

Hi George, There tuff little cars,our youngest girl had one in high school and collage and could not kill it.
They are solid and quiet cars.
Russ

purplepickup

Quote from: "mopar2dr"State of Michigan has one on the surplus auction at http://www.michigan.gov/doingbusiness Just click on Buying from the State or use this link to get there http://my.bidcorp.com/mibid/index.asp Also note they have some machine tools,Lathes and such for bid at Plainwell just North of Kalamazoo.
Thanks for that link Mike.  I'll bookmark that. Those lathes and mills aren't too far down the road from me at the State Tech Institute.  They sure have some different stuff on auction....a 100 gal dough mixing bowl??

And thanks for the opinions guys.  If Glen doesn't turn up a surprise I'll probably get it.  I had a '94 Taurus that had 180K on it when I sold it and I still see it around town.  I can pick this one up for less than half of retail and with the low mileage it should do me for a while.  Used cars have treated me pretty well thru the years.  I don't do new cars....me and payments don't get along.
George

WZ JUNK

Oh George, you will look so cool in a 4 door Ford.  I guess you could drag race me and my Windstar Van.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

tomslik

Quote from: "purplepickup"
Quote from: "mopar2dr"State of Michigan has one on the surplus auction at http://www.michigan.gov/doingbusiness Just click on Buying from the State or use this link to get there http://my.bidcorp.com/mibid/index.asp Also note they have some machine tools,Lathes and such for bid at Plainwell just North of Kalamazoo.
Thanks for that link Mike.  I'll bookmark that. Those lathes and mills aren't too far down the road from me at the State Tech Institute.  They sure have some different stuff on auction....a 100 gal dough mixing bowl??

:lol: police auction?

And thanks for the opinions guys.  If Glen doesn't turn up a surprise I'll probably get it.  I had a '94 Taurus that had 180K on it when I sold it and I still see it around town.  I can pick this one up for less than half of retail and with the low mileage it should do me for a while.  Used cars have treated me pretty well thru the years.  I don't do new cars....me and payments don't get along.

purplepickup

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Oh George, you will look so cool in a 4 door Ford.  I guess you could drag race me and my Windstar Van.

John
I guess I don't care too much what my daily driver looks like as long as it runs good.  Sue keeps getting on me about how old I look in the LeSabre I've got now.  As far as 4 doors goes, I like 'em.  The Eldorado is a 2 door and most people I know are too old to get in the back seat.

I'll bet I could whoop your Windstar with the Taurus. :0-0   My pickup still won't beat yours tho. :(
George

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Oh George, you will look so cool in a 4 door Ford.  I guess you could drag race me and my Windstar Van.

John

I took a quick look at a '98 Windstar in the dark tonight.  Don't know which engine it has, but it has 178,000 miles on it for $1400.  The really ugly light green should bring the price down quite a bit.  I was looking for a replacement for my '93 Dodge mini, but it only has 180,000 on it.  May have to check it out anyway next week when I can see it in the light.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"

John

I took a quick look at a '98 Windstar in the dark tonight.  Don't know which engine it has, but it has 178,000 miles on it for $1400.  The really ugly light green should bring the price down quite a bit.  I was looking for a replacement for my '93 Dodge mini, but it only has 180,000 on it.  May have to check it out anyway next week when I can see it in the light.

now windfarts i could go on about..... :roll: