RRT project

Started by enjenjo, January 10, 2009, 08:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

We need a new project. We built the BBQ trailer, but outside of cleaning after use, there is not a whole lot to do on it.

I would also like to get more people involved in it. I am happy with all the people invloved in the last project, but I would like more people to have input on it.

So, the project we need would be long term, and be able to be moved to different parts of the country, so more than one crew could work on it. I am open to most any project, so lets hear some suggestions.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

we could pack crosley up and overhaul him.

can i do the hair? :twisted:

i ain't even ate off the last project yet... :roll:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

GPster

I agree we need another project. I'll have to think about it some more but the first thing that comes to mind is a Rambler with a big gas tank. Probably wouldn't be worth enough for someone to steal it but if some one needed to borrow it the keys could be found on the kitchen table. There was a lot of interest raised over that building an airplane but that might be a little far fetched. What might be nice is to have 1FATGMC scan SCTA classes and come up with a class that has some open records and build a car and have different groups build different engines that would fit it then we could all meet at Bonneville and spend the week swaping engines. GPster

Crosley.In.AZ

Lets build a salt flat racer....

tomslik could actually help and go to Bonneville then.

Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

phat46

Lets build a single seat 30's sprint style car. I have many of the parts, someone just needs to donate a Model a frame!! We can build it at my place and I'll even volenteer to store it and drive it!!!  :D
 Well seriously, I hope we can come up with something, being retired now I'd be able to drive down to help!!!!

moose

I have this A frame available....BUT I get to drive too!!!

Crosley.In.AZ

That does  not look like an "A" frame that Henry built.

Tony

moose

Quote from: "Crosley"That does  not look like an "A" frame that Henry built.

He built "Most" of it :wink:

enjenjo

This topic was discussed on Chat last night. It lasted about 3 hours :shock:  There seems to be some interest in it. After thinking about it most of the day today, the only problem I see it there is only one shot a year to run it for the most part. So I have come up with a modification of the idea.

Lets build a drag car, nostalgia altered. Done right, it could be run at Bonneville too. My concept is a modified small car body, Crosley, Metropolitan, or something else in that size. Wheelbase 100" plus. It could be built in stages in different parts of the country. It would be designed to accept most engine/trans combos. Then once it is done, a group in one part of the country could run it in their area with their choice of engine. After a predetermined period, they would pass it along, less engine, to the next group to run with their engine of choice. And so on and so on.

I am not thinking a state of the art drag car, but a more basic one like there was in the 60s. At most a 10" tire on the rear. We would also need to build a trailer to transport it from place to place.

I am sure there are things I am not thinking of, so kick around the idea, and give me some feedback.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Bonneville style cars can also run the mile at Maxton SC, The Texas Mile,
there is a new venue in the north east somewhere, and another in Nevada.
Talk of another one in the north west.

But drag strips are MUCH easier to find, and race more often.
---

A VW Bug body would be easy to find, priced reasonable,
they all look like they were made before the war.

Could look like an Altered. Fenderless, solid axle way out front,
headers coming through where the front fenders used to be.

I know there is a minimum wheelbase specified by NHRA.
Most places don't enforce it unless you get going "too quick".
Moving the front axle centerline forward gets around that problem,
and makes room for a decent motor.

GPster

I'll work on that in my mind a while but I like the idea of just running against a record rather than man-to-man. At Bonneville you can keep running to try to get better but at the drags you can go to the line and if you get beat you're done for the day. Is there a class for nostalgia style drag car at Bonneville? Might build a car to do both. Could run the salt and then do the the HAMB drags on the way home and then Goodguys. Also I think they use SCTA rules in the Carolinas on some deserted air strip. Might run some there. I don't invision us coming up with a car for the long course on the salt so it would mostly be an air strip length car. Maybe need to start looking for one of those dual bolt pattern TH350. WE could start with the 2.5L Iron Duke and go through the GM line up. Will a 500 Cadillac bolt to one? GPster

unklian

The SCTA rules are tougher than NHRA, because the speeds are higher.

unklian

Quote from: "GPster"Is there a class for nostalgia style drag car at Bonneville?

LOTS of SCTA classes, for different body and engine combos.
http://www.scta-bni.org/SCTA-NewWeb/car_classes.htm

Crosley.In.AZ

With either car design or a combo... there are safety issues and costs folks may not know about.

Safety certs last for 2 years on some items ;  lap / shoulder belts, trans shield and other certs will expire.  The volume of the needed certs depends on the speed of the car.

Race axles for the differential  become a needed item.

Many drag race tracks are adopting an engine diaper rule (tomslik fits this subject) for a 9.90 & faster car.

Just a few items to throw out  for thoughts

So,  how fast should we plan on building the car for?
Tony

Leon

Don't forget at Bonneville and El Mirage there are membership fees for the driver, SFI-15 suit for higher speeds, fire systems, new requirements for head restraints starting next year, etc.  Would be nice to do and if a group wants to get together at my place to work on it when it's out on the west coast I'm for it, but a car needs to be designed carefully with a specific class in mind.  A small engine to put it in a class that doesn't require as much in the way of safety equipment would be better for a LSR type car than automatically designing it for a small block Chevy that might put it in too high of a class.