4 speed transmissions

Started by 58 Yeoman, June 25, 2006, 09:18:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

My 58 has a 3 speed tranny, and I'm just kicking around the idea of installing a 4 speed.  I see Saginaw's going for much less than Muncie's, and I'm assuming that the Muncie's are much stronger.  As I don't race or abuse the 58, a Saginaw should fit the bill.  Do 4 speeds use the same bell housing, front yoke, etc.?  One for sale in IL says it came out of late 70's Camaro.  TIA.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"My 58 has a 3 speed tranny, and I'm just kicking around the idea of installing a 4 speed.  I see Saginaw's going for much less than Muncie's, and I'm assuming that the Muncie's are much stronger.  As I don't race or abuse the 58, a Saginaw should fit the bill.  Do 4 speeds use the same bell housing, front yoke, etc.?  One for sale in IL says it came out of late 70's Camaro.  TIA.

should be a bolt-in but youll get to buy a shifter.
once upon a time i remember there was an article in some mag about putting an OD unit from a late sag 3spd on the 4 speed, maybe somebody here has done the dead?

btw, i NEVER broke a saginaw 4 speed but muncies on the other hand....
well, i am responsable for the lack of cluster gears for 'em....;)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

junkyardjeff

I would look into a 5 speed from a S10 to get overdrive since you want to change the trans,they might not take too much abuse but should hold up for a cruiser.  Jeff

Chebby

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "58 Yeoman"My 58 has a 3 speed tranny, and I'm just kicking around the idea of installing a 4 speed.  I see Saginaw's going for much less than Muncie's, and I'm assuming that the Muncie's are much stronger.  As I don't race or abuse the 58, a Saginaw should fit the bill.  Do 4 speeds use the same bell housing, front yoke, etc.?  One for sale in IL says it came out of late 70's Camaro.  TIA.

should be a bolt-in but youll get to buy a shifter.
once upon a time i remember there was an article in some mag about putting an OD unit from a late sag 3spd on the 4 speed, maybe somebody here has done the dead?

btw, i NEVER broke a saginaw 4 speed but muncies on the other hand....
well, i am responsable for the lack of cluster gears for 'em....;)

A popular option backindaday was to add an o/d transmission behind the transmission. They were made by a company called Hone-O-Drive, Baldwin-Motion cars could be ordered with that o/d and remember those were pretty mean big block machines. These Hone units were even sold for motorhomes.

I have one of these Hone-O-Drives, never been used. Eventually, I'll eBay it.

Chebby

enjenjo

A Muncie, and a Saginaw are the same length and use the same spline on both ends. The ones out of a Vega have a real low first gear, 2.74 I believe. The OD from a Saginaw three speed is a bolt on, and is still the same length. Some of the later ones had plastic cluster bushings instead of needle bearings, but you can switch them over.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

OldSub

Quote from: "tomslik"once upon a time i remember there was an article in some mag about putting an OD unit from a late sag 3spd on the 4 speed, maybe somebody here has done the dead?

I used to have that magazine, and built the transmission, back in the 70's.  I actually sold that transmission just a couple years ago.  I don't know what became of the magazine, but I've not seen it in years.

I built it to replace a Muncie after I broke it.  The Saginaw outlasted that car and the next one it was installed in.

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

58 Yeoman

I had a 58 Chevy in HS that had the 3spd w/OD, and it actually worked.  I'm thinking that the trans in the car now, came out of a 6cyl car.  A friend gave me another 3 spd that is much longer, and has longer grooves on the input shaft.  I don't mind the 3 spd, but the shifting is getting slow on the column, and I do have a new floor shifter.  May just go with the longer trans and floor shift, but will have to look for a shorter front drive shaft, or have mine cut down.

The auction in IL for the 4 spd trans, is also selling the shifter separately; it will be my luck that I would end up with the shifter and not the trans.  Are S10 5 spd trannies a bolt in, or not?  Most that I've seen are V6's; will those bolt up to a SBC?

Thanks again for the ideas/comments so far.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

sirstude

That Hone overdrive is now made by Richmnd, pretty much bulletproof.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

37 FORDGE

is the Hone-O-Drive still made by Richmond?  I've tried lots of variations of Google searches with no luck.  I'd like to put one in front of a 9" Ford... so the Hone-O-Drive "200". 

idrivejunk

My 71 Ventura II Sprint (307 2 barrel) had a Sag 3 speed on floor. I switched to Saginaw 4 speeds after going to a Goodwrench 350 4 barrel. Decent Zoom clutch and Hurst Comp Plus shifter. I could snap the 4 speeds at will with a spirited 1-2 shift. Turned em into a box of rocks on the spot. Had a fleet of 3 that I rotated, one always with a rebuilder to keep my only car on the road. It was a dice roll getting a quiet rebuild. Ratios were a grab bag, seemed all randomly all different. I got good at rolling under the car with one on my chest. I don't recommend them for froggy usage or in anything kind of heavy.

Thats my experience, but I'm a bodyman. Guy who bought the car went to a 406 and Keisler 6 speed. Which he had problems with right off the bat.
Matt