62 Studebaker Champ

Started by enjenjo, May 07, 2024, 04:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

I have been working on my Champ pickup. I am keeping the 289 Studebaker engine but I am putting a Chevy 700R4 behind it. Fairborn Studebaker makes an adapter kit with a plate adapter and a redrilled flexplate to adapt most any Chevy automatic to the Studebaker engine.

The Studebaker engine mounts consist of front mounts at the front of the block, and rear mounts off the bell housing. So I have been designing  a pair of mounts that work off the lower bell housing bolts of the 700R4 and incorporate the GM dowel pins for stability. There will also be a read mount on the transmission.

I located the mounts off the original Studebaker bell housing and built a jig to match that location. Then I installed the adapter in the jig and built the mounts from that. I installed longer dowel pins in the adapter so I could use them to locate the mounts. I measured several transmission cases and found there were several thicknesses from the face to the back of the lower bell housing bolt bosses, so I made 1" thick mockups to prototype my jig so I can use spacers to position the mounts correctly no matter the boss  thickness.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

416Ford

Looking good Frank, not sure you will make to Kzoo though at your pace. :lol:  :lol:
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

I have all the parts tacked together, I will mock them in place then finish weld them. I have some ideas on a simpler  design, I may build a set of them too. I think this first set may be a bit overbuilt.

enjenjo

QuoteLooking good Frank, not sure you will make to Kzoo though at your pace

I can always borrow the Buick wagon :)

kb426

Good to see you're moving about. :)
TEAM SMART