Always the small things...

Started by phat46, March 22, 2021, 11:46:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

The small things that seem to hold you up. I have to modify my trans crossmember to get the 700r4 trans in where the 350 was in my '46 Chevy. First I have to bolt the trans mount onto the transmission, easy, right. Nope can't use the bolts from the 350, the 700 is all metric, apparently. O.K. I have some metric hardware laying around...nope, nothing right. I look it up online, it calls for an M-10 1.5 pitch bolt. So I buy a couple, nope...go back and buy the M -10 1.25 pitch, nope....neither will thread in, the threads in the holes look o.k. I'm about ready to tap for 3/8 bolts......😜

enjenjo

I just took apart a T5 and the bolts were m10 by 1.5. If you decide to retap it 7/16  by 14 is better than 3/8 because m10 is bigger than 3/8 and you cant get a good thread.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

phat46

Quote from: "enjenjo"I just took apart a T5 and the bolts were m10 by 1.5. If you decide to retap it 7/16  by 14 is better than 3/8 because m10 is bigger than 3/8 and you cant get a good thread.

Yeah, the m10 won't thread in, either thread pitch. All the bolts will start about a half a turn, 3/8 and M10's. If I end up tapping I will go 7/16". online people were saying that the tailshaft bolts were the same as the mounting bolts. I took one out and it didn't fit either.

kb426

Sounds like somebody was there before you. There's so many metric pitches that it becomes a mess on internal threads. On externals, it's easy to line up a pitch gauge. You need better eyes that I have to do internals. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

Tempting to go to a wrecker and get some bolts off a truck with the same trans . Or try a transmission shop .

phat46

I actually got it. The first couple threads were fine, the trans is on a bench and I couldn't see too far up the holes. I took an m10 1.5 bolt and started it, figured I had nothing to lose if I had to tap it bigger. It went in with a ratchet another turn, when I backed it out mud, or something like it, fell out. Long story short, by using a pick, and a .38 caliber brass bore cleaning brush, I was able to tighten the bolt in a couple turns, then clean out the hole and repeat. It took about a half hour but I got both bolts to go in easily about 7/8"

parklane

You had nothing else to do anyway, Joe.  :lol:
If a blind person wears sunglasses, why doesn\'t a deaf person wear earmuffs??

phat46

Quote from: "parklane"You had nothing else to do anyway, Joe.  :lol:

It would seem that way, now I need a new oil pressure sending unit, hand tightened a nut on the wire for it, tried to back it off and the whole stud is spinning now.....got fed up this morning and took a Sawzall to the exhaust under the car, now I have some room to see things...the alternator now won't fit where it was on the other engine, etc, etc....😜

kb426

What caused the alternator to not fit?
TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"What caused the alternator to not fit?

I had it mounted on the drivers  side kind of up and over the valve cover due to how narrow the engine compartment gets at the front. I modified brackets and made a mount to move it inboard enough to clear. My new valve covers are too tall to allow it to swing to the side so now it must reside in the space between the valve cover and waterneck. I had to grind the edge of the manifold and shim the mounts but it looks like it might work now...as long as the upper rad hose clears it. 😄

WZ JUNK

A rule for building hot rods.  The next piece to go on always makes you go back and modify the last part you installed. :D
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

phat46

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"A rule for building hot rods.  The next piece to go on always makes you go back and modify the last part you installed. :D

Pretty much, and seems even worse when it was a runnng, driving car for more than 25 years and you make changes, now the stuff you "engineered" the first time has to be undone, re-engineered, then changed to make it right, then fixed again  after the next part goes on. 😄😃😄

idrivejunk

Who can complete this Wheel-style puzzle? :?:

Don't sweat the petty things, ___ ___ ______ things.

BUMPER STICKER

:lol:
Matt

chimp koose

chimp koose

Phat 46 , I started cutting out the aluminum to make the alt mounts for my engine today. With the finned aluminum timing cover , I had to space the water pump .850 from the block . The weiand pump I have has no provision for mounting alt anyhow . I am going to mount alt on drivers side between valve cover and thermostat .  Will use 2 bolt holes on DS head to anchor the lower mount and then get creative with the top one . Just looked tonight and it seems my headers may not work . I have block huggers and my heads have exh. ports raised .400 . Middle plugs may not clear the pipes . :shock: I was thinking of making tri -y headers anyhow