My little modified T

Started by donsrods, December 07, 2006, 10:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donsrods

If you are a 442 fan, you'll recognize the tripower setup on my Sons 455 Olds.  It's a '66 W30 setup.  I think they only made like 1200 of them, and some restorer is probably going to hate seeing them on his '29.  :P  :P

Don

reborn55

Very nice.  Looks like you have done a lot with your budget.  Must have plenty of patience.

39deluxe

Don,
They look just fine on the 29.  You're right about the restorers though. I sold my '67 442 to a guy in the Youngstown area about 10 years ago. I had a ton of '67 parts that I had collected over the years also, both nos and used. It was sort of hard to sell it since I bought it new but it was jinxed. Every time I got it out someone would hit it, or so it seemed. I got hit 3 times by people running stop signs and there was at least 3 other hits that were just stupid moves by other drivers. It was like it had a target on it.  It was stolen twice and the hood was stolen off of it in my driveway once. I needed to disassemble 442 parts cars just to keep up with it.

I drove a few mid year Corvettes as daily drivers over the years and never had anyone even get close to them. There was just something about that 442. I honestly believe it was cursed.

Tom

donsrods

I know exactly what you mean.  I had a bright red '84 Cougar that people kept running in to.  It was hit 3 times, and was if no one could see this red thing.  I think it was Christine reincarnated.

Don

river1

i had a truck, my first vehicle, that in the 6 or so months that i owned it i was hit 10 times. i felt that it was jinxed and got rid of it. the first hit came three days after i got and the last hit was a day before i got rid of it. in the 25 or so years since i got rid of it my vehicles have been hit four times, two of which while it was it was parked in a parking lot. all the hits have been very minor with no injuries.

later jim
Most people have a higher than average number of legs.

donsrods

I know this will sound goofy, but we had a boat one time that we swear was possessed. It was a 27 foot Chris Craft that a guy had lost in a bankrupcy. From the moment we got it weird things happened. A hatch came down an cracked me in the head, my kids would get sick when we went out on it, got fishing hooks in ourselves more than once, crazy mechanical problems, we ran aground 3 times in one year (hard), etc.

Fianlly sold it, and the guy who bought it blew the engine in a month, and we had put a new one in the year before  I wonder if the hourmeter is turning backwards like Christines speedometer??  :shock:  :shock:  :lol:

During the time we owned it I also lost my job, which is why we sold it.

Don

donsrods

Got a little more done on the engine for the T.  My Summit order came if for the water pump, alternator, and misc mounts.  Only thing I couldn't install was the crank damper, have to heat it in boiling water to get it to expand.

Here is where it is at now.

Don

donsrods

One more shot..............

39deluxe

Great looking valve covers. They give that  modern center bolt head small block a vintage look.

Tom

donsrods

Thanks Tom.  I had to send them back to Summit today, because they were supposed to have a breather and/or PCV hole in each one.  However, only one had a hole.  Summit, in their usual great customer service way, said send them back and we'll send you a corrected pair.  They are really good about that.

Don

39deluxe

I use Summit a lot oo. Since they are so close I get overnight occasionally if I get the order in early enough. Too bad you don't have an oil fill tube on that intake. Then you wouldn't need a hole in the other valve cover.

I assume that those valve covers don't have oil baffles for the PCV  or breather cap hole. Get a pair of these ( MOR-68772) from Summit. They are PCV grommets with built in oil baffles listed for tall valve covers but they should fit between the rockers with standard height covers also. They will keep the oil spray from being sucked into the pcv and from being blown out of the breather cap.

Tom

donsrods

Actually, that was one thing that confirmed one valve cover was wrong. There were TWO baffles in a box included, and also two grommets.  You are supposed to pop rivet the baffles on the underside of the cover to keep the splash down.

The guy at Summit had me check that all out, and when he heard all that stuff was there he simply said send them back.  I was worried that after 8 months they wouldn't do it, but they did. :D

Don

39deluxe

It sound like someone at the manufacturer packed the box wrong. I bought a pair of the smooth Billit Specialties from them and the baffles screw to bosses on the under side.

donsrods

Haven't posted progress for a while, so thought I would bring it up to date.

Finally got the floor glassed in and have started putting in the wooden stringers to strengthen the body.  Next step is to glass all of this solid, then start painting the frame.

Here is a picture of where the body is now.

Don

donsrods

I also got my headers today from Sanderson.  I had them build them without provisions for exhaust pipes, as I am going to just run baffles straight out of the megaphones.

Don