My little modified T

Started by donsrods, December 07, 2006, 10:42:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donsrods

Last April I started building a lowbuck modified out of an Ebay purchased Speedway body, and some parts I had laying around the shop.  My Son Dan and I built a new frame out of 2 x 3 tubing for it, and I am going to run a 350 Chevy Vortec I got for free. I have to freshen it up, but it is in pretty solid shape otherwise.

The concept was to build a car under $ 3000.00, but I got carried away and am using some more costly items like slicks, etc so it is going over that a little, but not by much.

Here is the start of the project with the frame we laid up and built.

Don

donsrods

I'm building it old timey style, so I am using a model T rear spring for it, so we added a model a rear crossmember, after shortening it.

donsrods

I wanted it to look race inspired, so I built a roll cage sort of support under the dash to hold my steering and windshield, and added lots of tube crossmembers to the frame.  I also want this one to sit on the ground, so it is zeed pretty heavily in the rear,and suicided in the front.

donsrods

The front is mounted really low, via a method I borrowed from the way my Son did his on the '29.

donsrods

And finally, here is the way the car sits today. Should have it on the road by Springtime (I hope)

Thanks for looking.

Don

39deluxe

Nice work. It has the right look.

Tom

donsrods

donsrods

I finally got all the machine work done on the '99 350 Chevy, and started to reassemble it.  I am using a brand new set of 305 heads for two reasons: They will bump up the compression a little, and secondly, I got them free.  :D

I also finally decided on a color for the car, Hummer Fusion Orange, and I started off by painting the engine with it.  I used epoxy primer first, then topcoated it with the Orange in catalyzed enamel.

Here is a shot after priming.

donsrods

And after painting with color.  I had to put some of my goodies on to see how it was going to look.  :lol:  :lol:

Don

39deluxe

Looking Good. Love the color.

Tom

donsrods

Crosley.In.AZ

that engine colour looks alot like the bronze that Olds used in the late 60's.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

donsrods

On their engines?  If so, yeah, we said the same thing after we shot it. In fact, I may shoot the Olds 394 engine in my '39 with this same color.

Don

39deluxe

Come to think of it that is almost the same color as on the '60s 442 engines. I shot a test panel beck when I was working on my '67 442 trying to match the non-available at the time engine color and still have the sample. The non 442 engines were more of a gold/bronze.

I'm also a big fan of the early Olds V8s. I learned to drive in a '53 88. I drove it until I got my first car, a '39 Ford Deluxe 2 door with a '55 265 Chevy. The picture below is too small to post clearly. I may need to resize another but it was a pretty cool car back in '64.  I'd like to find a 394 to build for a future rod project. It seems like everyone today has an old hemi, nailhead or Caddy. It takes a (real)  Olds to be different.

Got any pictures of it?

Tom

donsrods

Glad to see another Olds lover. :D

Mine is built, but I still need to do some grinding on the block and paint it, but I do have a couple of shots.

Don