2023: What are you doing today?

Started by 58 Yeoman, January 01, 2023, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Dorsi

Tony:  I also have had many back problems over the years, and things are getting worse as I age (75 soon).

Had surgery in 1989 for a herniated Lumbar disc. 

Had portions of four Lumbar vertebrae removed in August 2021 to relieve pressure on the spinal cord caused by stenosis and that helped a lot.

After new back pains in 2022, X-rays showed compression/deformation of several discs has gotten worse.

It ain't fun, but things can always be worse!  ...I hope you get some relief soon!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

idrivejunk

In keeping with the bodily complaint theme-My journey into uncharted territory continues...

Kind of like the Tootsie Pop commercial with the owl, but the question is how many months of all only sanding does it take to ruin a bodyman permanently. Have any of you ever known anyone whose occupation requires all minutes to be spent only sanding by hand or machine and who is not physically damaged by that? I don't think its possible. Mental damage is another matter entire. Could you do it?
Matt

chimp koose

spent the day on the bike trying to make a seat mount . Almost done .

416Ford

Opened up two cans of worm yesterday. Had some small holes I needed to repair up in the front of the cowl. One I started to grind out the bondo the area got huge. One I removed the tin work the prior owners had done I found out the inner structure for the door hinge was gone. Left side was a little better but still a lot of work.

You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

enjenjo

I am not seeing any of your pictures
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Ya, my damage to my low back disc mostly are external , so there is nothing pushing on my spinal cord.  Very lucky on that.  My back is feeling good again today.  Stenosis is weird shat.. Most of my pain - numbness is on left leg - hip side. 8 to 10 yrs ago I had about 1 year where as my bladder filled, it put pressure on my nerves to my left foot. It felt like someone was stepping on my left foot. I'd go take a P and the sensation disappeared. When your doctors scratch their head at the problem  , its no fun.

Heavy rain here today, yesterday was a light rain.  High AZ country has heavy snow. Just a FYI for you folks east.

Watched a 1966 Batman movie. I had forgotten that movie was made. Many villains in the movie. Joker, Penguin, Catwoman, Riddler... The movie sets, special effects, stunt people were sooo poorly done, yet standard issue for 1966.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

416Ford

You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

chimp koose

Wow , that looks like when I did cab corners on my 65 merc truck . Someone had done the metal replacement with expanding foam and then a skim of bondo .  ::)

idrivejunk

Just got profoundly sad news.  :(  I made my last weld months ago. Feel like puking. Being switched to the unfillable paint helper position. To me that means forced to quit. Life is overwith as soon as I sand myself to death. Mostly there now. Find me staring at wall listening to tinnitus evenings or sitting on edge of bed with head in hands, mornings. Painter said I "do better than anybody" so... it hurts to say this but I can't be allowed to continue to be a bodyman. FML. I have lost. Bring down the curtain please, to hide my shame. I can't look at metal or think about it or nothin' :blank:  :'(
Matt

chimp koose

IDJ I just read your post . Sorry to hear that . Maybe you could start doing painting videos for youtube . I have spent the last few days watching them . They must be a reasonable source of income for the posters . Custom paint videos get many viewers who I am sure are like me and just enjoy watching the creative process unfold . Thousands of viewers . Mostly small stuff like tanks and fenders for bikes .

enjenjo

I have been dealing with a dead battery on my truck. I installed a new NAPA battery in it about 6 months ago. IT went dead in october, but when I charged it, it seemed to be okay. I then drove it to North Carolina and back, and had no more trouble until last week. I went out to start it and it was DEAD, stone cold DEAD. SO I put a battery charger on it for 24 hours. It was still DEAD. I changed battery charger, 24 hours late still DEAD. So I pulled it out of the truck, and again DEAD, with two different chargers. So I took it back to the store today, and with his tester the best he could get was 0.01 volt. SO now I have a new battery again. 8)
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

QuoteI have been dealing with a dead battery on my truck. I installed a new NAPA battery in it about 6 months ago. IT went dead in october, but when I charged it, it seemed to be okay. I then drove it to North Carolina and back, and had no more trouble until last week. I went out to start it and it was DEAD, stone cold DEAD. SO I put a battery charger on it for 24 hours. It was still DEAD. I changed battery charger, 24 hours late still DEAD. So I pulled it out of the truck, and again DEAD, with two different chargers. So I took it back to the store today, and with his tester the best he could get was 0.01 volt. SO now I have a new battery again. 8)

Past couple daze the first crank of the day on the Honda Civic it has sounded different as the engine cranks.  Not slow, but less excitement ? Wife even commented.  I have a small battery checker gizmo that Scotty Kilmer on Utube has said was good...  Battery tests fine.  The battery is only 19 months old Walmart 51R wet cell unit. It is a PITA to check the water level.  Cold this morning the battery tests: 98% SOH and 78% SOC .. yesterday it was 98% SOC

This F-350 is the first vehicle in yrs that the OEM battery has lasted 2 yrs for us. Usually in 12 to 14 months the OEM battery quit. This Honda Civic battery quit about 14 months from new.  Honda installed a fresh battery.. That one quit about 16 - 18 months as I recall. I began buying Walmart batterys for the car. 2 yrs or less they quit.

8)  >:(
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

58 Yeoman

IDJ, are you saying that they don't need your services any longer?  Aren't there any other shops around that can use your services. Seems all the work you've posted on here was top notch.

Tony and Frank, they aren't making things like they used to.  I see that said on other forums I visit also. So many people saying that the points and condensers of today are worthless.  On the Corvair sites, many owners are installing electric fuel pumps because no one makes a good one anymore.  Clarks Corvair just announced that they designed their own mechanical pump based on the original style using heftier, longer lasting components and they will be available in August of this year.

They're also saying that the popular points/condenser replacement company (that starts with a P) isn't as good as it used to be.  I'm not mentioning the name here, as one time someone complained about that company, and the owner  would no longer sell to anyone on that site.  Geez.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

WZ JUNK

A couple of years ago the battery quit in the old truck quit.  It looked nearly new and I thought I had recently replaced it.  I took it to Walmart for them to check.  It was bad.  I asked if there was any warranty left?  They showed me the date.  It was 9 years old.  I bought a new one of the same model.  I hope it last as long. 

Time got away from me again
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH