Stupid question on doors

Started by chimp koose, February 24, 2019, 04:57:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Here is a crazy thought . Would it be a good idea to eliminate the middle hinge on my T doors and just use the top and bottom  hinges ? I am concerned about the hinges being able to hold up but not sure .

idrivejunk

I would be in on that if either a significant top chop or some reinforcement were done. Maybe a cross bar under the dash. But you coud also make each one a hinge and a half tall. But surely the idea is to modify the least amount of stuff and just omit the middle hinge. Without other modification, I would be leery of the doors popping open more often, more so than anything losing it's shape.

I suppose if I had the door hung on the top and bottom hinge and the middle gave me fits, I could see my way clear to move on and re-approach that later. But I'll stick to my guns and say, from lessons learned replacing that type of hinge with the hidden type... that tacking hinges in perfect orientation relative to each other with them off the vehicle then forcing the door and body to comply by whatever means is suitable... is the road to happiness.

If you made a template of the door and post's hinge locations and compared them, and compare those to a template made from the three hinges spaced and aligned perfectly tacked to sturdy tubing, it might aid you in locating conflicts.
Matt