Cast iron exhaust sealing issues fix

Started by wayne petty, February 06, 2013, 11:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wayne petty

i thought i would share some images from a 429CJ  i repaired the exhaust leaks on last week...

one can see the blue belt sander paper i glued to a piece of 3/4" plywood.. if i had thought about it earlier i would have screwed some 2x4s to the back and verified it was flat with a straight edge.. as it was.. the weight of the manifold required me to prop the center up on the towel to really get the center 2 ports.... it also took 3 of us to support the off center weight of the manifold and 2 to push down on the back then back and forth to get through the crud...  the other manifold was worst but i forgot to take pictures..

the flat surface i hit with my 4" angle grinder with a flap disc... just because it was so ugly..

the angled surface i worked with my 1/4" electric die grinder with a 1/2" tree shaped carbide tool.. i have a tons of experience with that tool messing around in ports and other locations.

i test fit the exhaust flange rings... what's strange is i was able to use a  felpro 60201 exhaust flange ring on one manifold and the stepped version 60218 on the other.. that was because of who ever created the exhaust pipes... not the manifolds..

to avoid aggravation while trying to get the exhaust manifolds in... i broke out the rubber bands..

OH... and on the 429CJ and 429SCJ motors... standard exhaust gaskets won't fit.. the port openings are too short.. you have to use the fel pro performance 1420 or even the 1421 but those are shown with ported heads...

for those who spotted it.. one of the flange holes is heli coiled..

i used the dorman #03135 for the exhaust flange studs    7/16 -14 studs with the hex and it worked out fine.. it came with 11/16 hex size brass nuts...

UGLY OLDS

RUST    :?:    In Ca.  :?:  :?:      
Trust me Wayne ...That's NOT rust ...  :?

I recently replaced the exhaust manifolds on my pick up due to the BOSS that the stud screws into rusting off the manifold ... :shock:

I have never seen rust attack a manifold that bad .... :roll:

Good old "Brown Bottom Disease...... :lol:

Bob.... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Arnold

Nice work Wayne! :D
I CRINGE :evil:  when I see FORD exhaust manifolds now.
There was a time when ALL I did was change sbc's that had been butchered. :roll:
A neighbour..friend..that referred a lot of work to me :D  quoted a 351 re and re and brought over the car and a donor car for the motor. Both out no problem. In went the donor engine that HE had done the leg work on.
Exhaust manifolds were too wide..on the donor 351.
I ended up having to have them MACHINED AT AN ANGLE :evil:
Didn't make any money on that job! :evil:
After that the guy whose car it was wanted to pay by checque AND post date it to see if he was happy :evil: .My friend dropped off the car for him. :evil:
I called and said have the cash THERE when I come over RIGHT NOW
as I have my engine crane and tools  in the back of my truck and will pull that engine out right then and there. :evil:  My friend told the guy I would do that :!:  and got the cash.