OEM vs aftermarket headlights

Started by purplepickup, March 05, 2018, 11:10:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

A couple of weeks ago I got another '09 Pontiac Vibe that hit a deer and am chasing parts. I found a decent same color hood and bumper fascia but good OEM headlights are hard to find. Most used ones have mounting tabs broken off or they're scratched and foggy. New OEM are pricey.

Does anyone have experience with aftermarket light assemblies? Some are listed as CAPA certified and some aren't. Google searches about quality give me mixed results.

I might keep this car and want lights that will last a while. OEM, CAPA certified, or el cheapo ebay aftermarket??
George

UGLY OLDS

I got mine from Rock Auto  for both my Chev pickup & the Grand Marquis ....Fit like a glove & were installed without any issue ...I also installed "brighter" aftermarket bulbs ,( "Silverstar"  :?:  :?: ) , that seemed to make no difference .... :roll:

All the head & tail light assemblies I received were made in China, they seem to do the job....

I still prefer the seal beams that are in the Olds & the Astro Van over the "modules" in the new cars........They seem to work MUCH better .....Better focus,range,etc....

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Carnut

Dunno if my PT Cruisers are any help, but on my 05 PT Conv I put in new ebay headlight assemblies with LED bulbs and I'm a perfectly happy camper.

kb426

I've used ebay lights that I think were called Eagle Eyes. I installed one in a Chrysler 300 and 1 in a Dodge Charger, both without issue. I may have got lucky. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

The CAPA lghts should be fine. I have installed many but not on a Vibe specifically. I just replaced my 99 GTP lamps with ones from Auto Zone. They say DEPO on the box and I am satisfied. Trouble mostly is the OE lights sucked too. As far as durability goes, I don't think one is much better than the other. Just watch out for casting flash around small tabs and expect to have to crank at least one adjuster all the way. The difference one might see with OE lamps is possibly a more defined beam. This comes from more accurate contouring of mirrored areas in the lamp. If I had to generalize, I'd say the OE chrome inside lasts longest but the aftermarket lenses may actually last longest. The ebay lights can be super bad or so I hear but your mileage may vary.
Matt

enjenjo

I've used Ebay lights with no problems Like it was said, the OE ones aren't that good either. They are all made in China.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

Thanks for the input. I've used the cheap ebay ones in the past too without any fit problems. But I didn't keep the cars long enough to see how the lenses held up against yellowing and fogging.

My '09 daily driver Vibe isn't garaged and the OE lights are still clear as a bell. It would be nice if I could get 11 years out of aftermarket ones too. I guess this is a good time to find out.

As a side note, I've found that our Lowes stocks a decent selection of those special nylon and other automotive fasteners needed for jobs like this.
George

Charlie Chops 1940

Headlights....what a pain. I've been spending some time detailing my 2005 CTS-V Cadillac to sell it this spring. The original HID headlights were cracked and hazy beyond repair. Factory replacements are close to $1000 each. I bought a pair of replacement CTS base halogen units for $150. They fit fairly well and look great. Have to pull the front bumper on this mode lto replace the headlight and/or bulbs and most of the push pin fasteners were sacrificed in the process, not to mention many were missing. I bought an assortment of them and a tool on Amazon and have used a bunch already on other missing locations.

Sent the bumper out for repaint and crack repairs but don't have it back yet, Installed a cold air intake, scrubbed a bunch of tar off the bottom edges all the way around, replaced a couple tires and a hanger rashed front fender. Fresh Mobil 1 oil and filter, cleaned the engine compartment, etc, etc. WOW, this thing is starting to look good again. Once the bumper is back on it's off for a 4 wheel alignment and then on the selling block.

For those not familiar with this model it is equipped with a 5.7 LS engine rated at 400 hp, a Tremec T-56 6 speed manual and all heavy duty suspension plus all the usual Caddy amenities. I've had it a couple years and have put about 8,000 miles on it. It's now clocking in at !75K and still going strong. It's one of the best road trip cars I've ever owned.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!