'37 Dodge brake upgrade ??

Started by Beck, March 21, 2008, 06:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beck

It has been quite a while since I was here. I have a few questions and I knew you were the guys to answer them.
I'm collecting parts for an early rat pu. I came across a '37 Dodge front axle. I want a parallel lief setup so that part is good. The bearings and brakes are my questions. I assume the old Mopars had ball bearings. These have got to go. I wouldn't mind staying with drum brakes but I want this thing to stop. Are there any drum setups that would work on these spindles? If not then I guess I will have to go with the disk setup. Is there a cheap way to do this? I see adds for about $600 for complete setups. I want good brakes but I want cheap too. I will forgo the cheap if it isn't safe. Safety is #1.

UGLY OLDS

I did this swap back when I first built the Kidds Dodge ....Late 60's A100 Dodge pickup kingpin length & diameter are the same as '37 Dodge..Gives you bolt on 11" X 3" front drums..late spindles ..bearings ..etc. BUT  :!:  :!:  I had a REAL problem using this setup with the stock parallel leaf springs ...The brakes work fantastic...TOO good in fact ...On a fairly hard stop, the springs will "wrap-up" into an "S" shape --( Much the same as a rear spring does on acceleration) ...It does REALLY strange things to the steering..( Hit brakes ...Steering wheel makes an automatic 1/4 turn to the left & the car stops straight.. :shock:  )  It caused by the stock front springs having "split leaves" ...Way-way too much movement in the leafs.. And I got rid of the "compensator" on the left side rear spring mount..It is nothing more than a "spring-loaded to center " shackle...It actually allows the complete spring to move front to back....It still wrapped up the springs ...Also could never get the car aligned properly ..I would get everything set properly..drive 100 miles ..Out of spec again...
The final "solution" ( After crossing 3 lines on I-94 in S/W Mich with out warning or control, INCREDIBLE "pucker factor"  :!:  :!:  :shock: ) , was to cut the complete mess off & install a Mustang II..that was 87K miles ago..Still going strong....
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

The stock hubs have roller bearings, same as model A ford in fact. I have converted to discs using the stock hub, and FWD Full size GM rotors. The GM caliper and bracket can be adapted too. Use the 15" rim rotor if you are using 15" wheels.

Cross steering can be done too, Vega box, and a Speedway dual tie rod end.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

enjenjo, I saw your post from '07 on your conversion before I made my original post. You have a lot more ability than I for fabrication. I can do it but it takes me 4 times longer than most. I was kind of searching for the drum setup too... Did you have any problem with the spring wrap up like UGLY OLDS did? You should have had as much or more braking with the disks.
UGLY OLDS, I don't think I understand what split leaf springs are. Doesn't this have regular leaf springs? Does the drivers side have shackles on both ends with one being spring loaded? Couldn't I just substitute other leaf springs from a different vehicle if the stock springs are weird, like the springs from the front of the A100?
I want a driver here not a show queen, but without front fenders I don't think the IFS is attractive on a rat. I really like the extra "drop" in the center of the old Mopar axles. I thought it would look good on the front.

enjenjo

No spring wrap up. but, they were new springs, and I lowered the car by moving the springs out on each side, and mounting to the side of the frame, rather than under the frame. I also bushed the springs with Nylon bushings.

Split springs have several of the leaves cut on the front and rear of the spring mount on the axle. Common on old mopars. One shackle has a rubber mount that allows it to move forward and back, I eliminated that too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Beck

I found another dropped beam axle. The Mopar one was 280 miles away so the fuel cost and driving time was a problem. The other one is from a '36 GMC pu. It already has a disc conversion on it. I will have to figure out what everything is. It has been sitting outside for a few years so the rotors are shot. The calipers are probably shot too. I looked at it today but couldn't haul it home in my little car. When I get it home I will post some photos of the calipers and someone might be able to ID them.

Thanks guys!

UGLY OLDS

Enjenjo nailed it on the stock springs & "compensator" ...When I took them apart for cleaning & lubing prior to installing them , I thought I had broken leaves.... :?  :?  The I did a little research & found out the truth.. :shock:
I should have listened to my aged next door neighbor who watched the build "over the fence" ...He would look at what I was trying to rebuild & say, "Sonny, mine wasn't worth a * in '37...What makes them better now" ???....    :shock:

Just make sure you use modern springs if you're going to run parallel leaves ...The disc brake axle sounds better --The Mopar axle does not have that much "drop" as we always refer too...It just "swoops" down in the center between the spring mounts ....

Bob...
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****