engine oil cooler

Started by WZ JUNK, July 17, 2023, 09:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WZ JUNK

I am going to install an engine oil cooler on the old truck.  Can anyone give some advice or recommendations as far as what brand works best?  I am looking at a Derale 15503
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: WZ JUNK on July 17, 2023, 09:44:44 PMI am going to install an engine oil cooler on the old truck.  Can anyone give some advice or recommendations as far as what brand works best?  I am looking at a Derale 15503

The flat plate design are more efficient than the tube design..   Do you need a fan on the cooler too?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

I do not plan on using a fan. It will be mounted offset of my radiator and I may build a fiberglass air intake to direct air into the cooler.  I want to use the oil cooler to reduce the engine heat a little.  I think that if you can cool the oil some, you can cool the engine some.  The water temperature sensor on the Holley Sniper system is more accurate than my gauge and I found out that my engine is running hotter than I thought.  But it has been running hotter for 30 years and it does not boil over.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

jaybee

Sounds right. Air-cooled VWs used an oil cooler when they had nothing else they didn't need, and many air-cooled engines use oil in various ways to help keep the motor cool.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)