54 Ford wagon

Started by enjenjo, August 27, 2021, 07:57:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

Now that the 54 Chevy truck is done I am moving on to my 54 Ford. It has a 78 to 87 GM A body or El Camino frame under it but it is crusty rusty. I picked up an 83 Camino frame but the frame is too wide at the rear tires for the wheels I want to use, and the steering box is right against the front bumper. Plus the replacement frame is bent, diamonded actually, but repairable. Also the frame rails set up into the floor, without making the car set too high.

With all the things I would have to do to make it work the way I want there is a lot involved in making it work.

I have another frame here I was custom building for an AD Chevy pickup made from 3" by 4" rectangular tubing, with a read steer Nova clip on the front. I'm starting to believe in the long run it would be easier to modify this frame for the wagon. At this point there is no rear suspension on this frame, and it might just be an easier way to go.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Many options available to you. If you can find dimensions from an original 54 frame and work forward from there, I would think that world give you a choice on front and rear suspensions and not have to cut up the floor pan. If the original body mounts are there, wouldn't that be the simplest way to move forward?
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Quote from: "kb426"Many options available to you. If you can find dimensions from an original 54 frame and work forward from there, I would think that world give you a choice on front and rear suspensions and not have to cut up the floor pan. If the original body mounts are there, wouldn't that be the simplest way to move forward?

None of the original floor is there. Inside the frame rails is a butchered up G body floor, and outside the frame rails is random pieces of metal. My original idea was to use reproduction G body floorpans, but they won't fit the way it is done now.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

Sounds as if you have a clean slate to start with. What's in your back yard for a donor? :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Personally, I wouldn't rule out making it a unibody. Might open up your donor options. Spot welded sheetmetal sections would be easier to shuffle around to fit than making alterations to a full frame.
Matt

Crosley.In.AZ

I'd use the easier and straighter frame method...  Just me.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)