63/64 Merc 9" vs 66 Ford Galaxie 9"

Started by 58 Yeoman, December 21, 2007, 01:54:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

I've installed a 63 Merc 9" in the Pontiac, but don't know how many splines are on the axles; it's a 3:55.  I can get a 66 Ford 9" locally cheap that has a 3:00.  Do they have the same # splines or not?  Anyone know off the top of their head?  Thanks.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

348tripower

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"I've installed a 63 Merc 9" in the Pontiac, but don't know how many splines are on the axles; it's a 3:55.  I can get a 66 Ford 9" locally cheap that has a 3:00.  Do they have the same # splines or not?  Anyone know off the top of their head?  Thanks.

If they are non posi out of cars they a probably 28 spline. I am looking for a 3:55 myself.
:lol: Don
Don Colliau

enjenjo

There were no 31 spline Ford axles before 63, and after that they were only used in 427 cars until 68. Trucks didn't get them until 73
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

tomslik

Quote from: "enjenjo"There were no 31 spline Ford axles before 63, and after that they were only used in 427 cars until 68. Trucks didn't get them until 73

i've got a 66 fullsize 1 wheeler under my coupe that has 31 splines.
it WAS a 428 car though.....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

enjenjo

Ok, 427, and 428. :lol:  I forgot all about them.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

Cool.  Thanks for the info, guys.  The tag on the Merc said 3:00, but it ended up being a 3:55, which I can live with, I guess.  I won't know until I get the car on the road, but this rear is local and really cheap, so I can have it handy if the lower one doesn't work out.

Phil

tomslik

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Cool.  Thanks for the info, guys.  The tag on the Merc said 3:00, but it ended up being a 3:55, which I can live with, I guess.  I won't know until I get the car on the road, but this rear is local and really cheap, so I can have it handy if the lower one doesn't work out.

heck, i'd buy it regardless, tradin'material if nothing else....
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

Deuce

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"The tag on the Merc said 3:00, but it ended up being a 3:55

3.55 is a GREAT gear ...  :D
Low enough to help get everything going but still high enough that the engine is not screaming @ highway use.

I have found that factory FORD Oem gears are vastly better and quieter than aftermarket gear sets.
RETIRED.....no phone, no work and No money  :?

58 Yeoman

Deuce, yeah, that's what I figured too.  I remember reading somewhere that the Cadillac engines really like a high gear, that's why I wanted a 3:00.  I guess I can live with the 3:55 anyway.  I really need to start on the body and get this car going!

Phil