Battery Cable size

Started by 48builder, October 12, 2023, 08:56:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

I'm trying to get this thing ready to start and I'm working on the battery cables now. I located the battery in the trunk. Back 20 years ago when I bought the cable, I got 2 gauge positive. Now I'm not sure that's heavy enough. It's about 13 feet to the starter. What do you guys think? The cable I have seems very heavy but I want this thing to start easily.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

I think you will be fine. I purchased 4 for my project and it's almost 10' long. One thing to consider, if you are using one of the small pmg starters, them seem to be way more efficient in power usage. many have bearings instead of bushings. That should be a factor in the decision making process.
TEAM SMART

48builder

I went back out and looked closer at my cable and it is 1 gauge. Based on charts I found and what you tell me I think it will work. Thanks

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver