Trans Am 5speed trans into a '58

Started by 58 Yeoman, April 08, 2013, 10:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

A friend of mine has an '83 Trans Am that he bought new with a 305 5 speed that he's looking to sell...maybe less than $1000.  He had paid $1200 a few years ago to have the engine rebuilt and a new clutch installed.  The rebuilder told him that it was a Camaro 305.  I've been thinking of putting a 4 or 5 spd in the Chevy, and maybe the engine and trans both.  Anyone see any problems with this.

The car has been sitting in his garage for a few years, started up once or twice a year, and lately one of his sons shot out the drivers door window.  He's thinking of just getting rid of it.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Fuel injected or carburetor? Should be a NWC T5 trans.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

I'll have to ask him the next time he's at work.  He says it's run strong ever since he bought it.

Phil

enjenjo

If it's carbureted, easy to change over to a non computer controlled carburetor, and non computer HEI. If it's crossfire injection, that is not really supported by the aftermarlet, so you would have to add an intake manifold to the other parts.

58 Yeoman

Thanks for the info Frank.  I looked online to find out what a nwc is, and figured it would work for me, as I don't drive the car often.  I called the guy, and found out the car has 150k on it, but the engine/trans/clutch has about 2k.  It's also got a carb. I didn't ask, but would it have a regular TO bearing, or hydraulic clutch?  I'm not familiar with the newer stuff.

He said he'd take $700 or $800 for it (hmmm...sounds like $700 to me LOL).

Phil

wayne petty

since this sounds like its going to be a deal...

to remove the engine... leave the fuel injection or feed back carb HARNESS intact on the engine...

get under the passenger side of the dash and unplug the ECM and the connector that goes across to the drivers side of the dash..

there is a U shaped plastic clip that holds the plastic Elbow in where the electronic engine controls harness passes thru the firewall.. lay the harness on top of the engine..  it all comes out really easily..

there are 2 different harness on the engine..

the electronics goes to the passenger side of the car..

the electronic ignition  alternator and starter harness goes to the drivers side.  that unhooks from the firewall.. just take loosen the bolt in the middle..

if its a crossfire car... you can remove the upper plenum completely with the throttle bodies and linkage intact..

then remove the lower intake.... and the electronic spark control HEI...  then the lower intake... put it all back together..

its a terrific Ebay item... complete with the injector harness and ECM...

this is just a conventional TBI system if you don't notice that there are 2 throttle bodies...

i have always wanted a crossfire set up.. as i wanted to install each throttle body on my corvair... one on each head..

but it could also be used on straight sixes with a duel carb manifold..

as long as the oxygen sensors are hooked up properly.. the system will usually selftune slightly..

feedback carbs are trouble... if the entire system is perfect.. they can get over 23MPG in full size caprice's.. if not.. they will be pains..

lastly.. don't forget.. that car has a really nice tilt steering column.. some are tilt and teloscopic..

it may also have the fast ratio steering box....

papastoyss

Assuming the 5spd fifth gear is an overdrive you might need to change your rear gear  ratio to accomodate the new setup.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

58 Yeoman

Thanks for all the info, Wayne.  IIRC, the rear end is 3:35 now.  I've actually got the smaller 3 speed trans out of a six in the car now; I've got another from an 8 that a friend gave me.  I was going to put it in with a floor shifter, but I'd then have to try and find or have made the shorter front drive shaft.  I may as well go all the way if I'm going to do it.  Haven't pulled the trigger yet.  

On the other hand, $700 for a rebuilt 305 w/ a rebuilt 5 speed isn't bad (plus have the rest of the car for various parts or parts for sale).  I know the shop that did the engine, and he's good; he did some heads for me way back when.

Phil

57larry

sounds like an interesting swap. keep us posted on your progress. thanks

58 Yeoman

Am I correct in assuming that this Trans Am will have a removable front clip, and if it does, is it a size that someone can use in an older car, like I did with the '74 Nova in my Pontiac?

If I get this car, I'd like to keep as much as possible out of the crusher.

Phil

enjenjo

No clip on an 83. 82 was the last year for a bolt on clip.

58 Yeoman

Phil

58 Yeoman

Going to see the car this weekend.

Phil

58 Yeoman

I brought the car home.  I can't believe that he would spend the money to rebuild the engine/trans on this car, as the rest of the car is in pretty bad condition.  He'd already changed the carb and distributor, and included a new original carb that he'd bought for it, never installed.  I'll put it on ebay, probably along with the T tops.  The engine/trans run really good.

Phil

58 Yeoman

Just wondering...the spindles/brakes wouldn't fit on a '74 Nova, would they?

Phil