Ford 8.8 Rear End Strong Enough For Big Block Powered Coupe?

Started by 1939coupe, August 01, 2007, 08:22:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1939coupe

Hey All,   I'm looking at replacing the '55 pontiac rear in my coupe with a Ford Explorer 8.8 Rear. My coupe has a Pontiac 421 BB in it, Is this rear end Strong Enough? I wanted a 9" but these 8.8 Rears already have Disk Brakes and they are easier to find Used. Cheers  :0-0

tomslik

Quote from: "1939coupe"Hey All,   I'm looking at replacing the '55 pontiac rear in my coupe with a Ford Explorer 8.8 Rear. My coupe has a Pontiac 421 BB in it, Is this rear end Strong Enough? I wanted a 9" but these 8.8 Rears already have Disk Brakes and they are easier to find Used. Cheers  :0-0

i'd think so, they've got 31 spline axles and live under 9 sec mustangs....btw the drum brake one i've got here measures 59 1/2"
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

EMSjunkie

Quote from: "tomslik"
Quote from: "1939coupe"Hey All,   I'm looking at replacing the '55 pontiac rear in my coupe with a Ford Explorer 8.8 Rear. My coupe has a Pontiac 421 BB in it, Is this rear end Strong Enough? I wanted a 9" but these 8.8 Rears already have Disk Brakes and they are easier to find Used. Cheers  :0-0

i'd think so, they've got 31 spline axles and live under 9 sec mustangs....btw the drum brake one i've got here measures 59 1/2"

I got one too. I like it.
its about to find a home under a C-cab 8)

Vance
"I don\'t know what your problem is, but I bet its hard to pronounce"

1934 Ford 3 Window
Member, Rural Rodders
Member, National Sarcasm Society  "Like we need your support"
*****Co-Founder  Team Smart*****

Topsterguy

So Tomslik, are they all the same width between rangers and explorers? I'm doing a 40 Ford pickup and I've got a line on a complete 8.8  rear end out of a later Ranger thinking that it will be about 56", cuz I think 59 would be too wide. The trrucks  all apart so it's hard to judge.
"If a man is alone in the forest and speaks, and there\'s no woman around, is he still wrong?"

dragrcr50

I bought 6 of them new from ariel performance with 355 and 373 gears complete 59 1/2 outside wheel to wheel..disc with emergency etc we ran one in a 55 gasser with a 496 inch mtr  with t ram etc ran in the 11;s  and never broke it ... great rear ends i put one in a 40 ford sedan and it fit perfectly as well..................go for it.....I still have one in stock..
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,