Cowl top support

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, March 06, 2007, 09:17:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

I have a brass Duval windshield for my '32 roadster. After I got it fit to the cowl I found that I could make it flex the sheet metal in the center. So I made up a backer to go under the center. I made it out of 16ga and broke over the  outside edges. Since I'm always looking for something under there to tie wires or something to, I drilled the edges with a bunch of 1/4" holes.

I then drilled a series of 1/8" holes in the top of the cowl and bolted the backer in place. The rear of it went between  the body skin and a stock stiffener at the back edge.

I then rosette welded the backer to the skin, and then ground the welds smooth. It worked - no more flex.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

I like the idea of a place to hang wires and so forth.  I may use that even without a Duvall windshield.

When I am filling a firewall, on the holes that originally hald the insulation in place, instead of just welding them shut, I weld a 1/4" by 1 1/2" elevator bolt behind the hole. This gives you a way to hang the AC evaporator, firewall insulation, wires, and other things.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Charlie Chops 1940

I did that on the firewall of my late (as in don't have it anymore) '55 Nomad.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!