Need a VW gasket measurement.....please :-)

Started by purplepickup, February 21, 2006, 07:19:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

There must be a Vee Dub guy here that might have a '60's preheat tube gasket laying around.  I'm looking for an exhaust gasket for my chinese bike engines that is shaped like the preheat gasket but I can't find anyone around here that has one to measure.  

The picture is a VW gasket I got off the web and I drew in the dimensions I am looking for.   If anyone has one I'd appreciate it if they could measure it.  The chinese exhaust gaskets aren't very good and I'm looking for something better.
George

enjenjo

You are not going to belive this George, but I threw away two of them last week! I couldn't see me doing another VW in the forseeable future. I'll see if I dumped the can in the dumpster yet.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

unklian

Those are the Japanese dimensions ?
And you want to know if the VW is close enough ?

Is that correct ?

purplepickup

Quote from: "unklian"Those are the Japanese dimensions ?
And you want to know if the VW is close enough ?

Is that correct ?
Yeah, chinese dimensions...eyeballed with my dial calipers.  Close enough is good...as long as the sealing surface is there.  Both surfaces are just flat.  I can tweak them a little if I have to.  Hell, they might be a mile off but who knows, I might get lucky.  I'm just curious since they are much better gaskets.  I used to have some but I threw them away too.
George

Bruce Dorsi

I've never played with VW's, so I don't know if I'm talking about the same gasket.

I used some VW exhaust (?) gaskets when I put a turbo on my Lotus Europa.  ......They look like your picture, and have a 1.263" inside diameter with a 2.25" c-c dimension.  .....The mounting holes are elongated, and measure approx .330" x .360".   .....They are made of embossed s/s with asbestos(?) core.

I have no idea if the preheat gasket is what I used, or are exhaust manifold gaskets similar, but larger?
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

unklian

purplepickup

Thanks for posting there Ian.  That's a good place to ask.

Bruce, you probably used the muffler gaskets.  They're made the same but larger.  Thanks for the info tho.

Just a couple of pics of what I'm using these for.

I sold this one a few weeks ago.

Here's one I'm working on now.  I'm doing a stingray too.  In fact I've got 4 more in the works

(edit) I found a pic of one of the stingrays.  I hadn't done much to it yet in this pic.
George

sirstude

George,

Are you bringing them to Bonneville this year so we all have pit bikes to ride?

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

purplepickup

Quote from: "sirstude"George,

Are you bringing them to Bonneville this year so we all have pit bikes to ride?

Doug
Depends on what I drive.  I'll be lucky to fit one of them in my pickup.  If I drive the van I might bring two but I'm also thinking about dragging the Harley out there and take an extra week after Bonneville just to putt around Utah.

I think if you want a pit bike to ride you might have to make one :wink:
George

unklian

One of the guys just posted these numbers:

Bolt hole 1-9/16" to centers

Center hole is 3/4"  

:idea:

unklian

Another guy just posted:

Bolt centers are 1.504"

Center port opening 0.733"

1FATGMC

Those are neat George :D  :D  :D .  I think you found a new calling :shock: .

Maybe we could ride them to Lewis Lodge :wink: .

c ya, Sum

purplepickup

Thanks a lot Ian and everyone.  I got enough info to see that I could definitely make one work.  I found a dune buggy shop near here that I didn't know existed and he had a couple gaskets for me to try.  The bore matches better than the gaskets that came with the engine and just a little dremel work let the studs slip right thru.  

Ian, I see you thanked the guys at Volksrods.  I appreciate that. :D

Here's a pic

Sumner, I wouldn't mind going back to Lewis Lodge but I sure ain't riding a bike there.  I think there were times I was on all fours just to get along that ledge.
George

sirstude

Sum,

One of these days I am going to get down your way. but you will have to drug me to get me on that ledge.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

1FATGMC

Quote from: "sirstude"Sum,

One of these days I am going to get down your way. but you will have to drug me to get me on that ledge.

Doug

George not to steal your post, but I'm thinking about Lewis Lodge as a destination for anyone that wants to go there this year, but I would do it probably on Monday or Tuesday and keep Wed. open for the larger group when we could go to a site not quite as challenging.  If not that many people show up we could do it on Wed.  It looks bad, but when you actually go there it is not "quite" as bad as the pictures.

c ya, Sum