1948 Chevy truck

Started by kb426, May 03, 2022, 06:46:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

As near as I can tell, I have a 48 Chevy in my yard. The door on the driver's side is a newer version with a vent window and a push button latch. There is cowl damage so that would explain the replacement door. The right side floor is rusty. There are some dents but the truck appears to be pretty solid.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Welcome to the dark side. :)
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

jaybee

That must have been a really fast truck...it blew one of the door handles clean around backward!   :lol:
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Jaybee, it was so fast that they welded tow hooks to the frame above the front axle and had a 3/4" cable pulled in two. :) There's mods on the frame where parts were welded to it and it used to have an aux. trans.
It's been drizzly here all day. About 4pm, I went out and removed the seat frame and threw all of the foam and fabric in the dumpster. I used a leaf blower to remove as much dirt as I could without the seat mount being removed. The rust is in the right side floor board and extends up the right kick panel a ways. I haven't poked any holes to see where all it's hiding. :) This is probably one more that looks pretty good until you get serious inspecting. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

This truck under went a Truckstell conversion. The trans is gone and the rear end is not a Chevrolet unit. I have no idea what all was done to it. A 1946 Chevy brochure listed the conversion as a very common option.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

Seems like overdrives were pretty common in that era. I know Ford sold a bunch of Columbia two speed axles.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

chimp koose

When I was 18 years old I had a model TT truck . I went to the dump with a load of "useless stock parts " . A model T guy was unloading next to me and was losing his mind as I dumped off a 2 speed ruxtel rear end . I thought it was old junk  ::) he thought otherwise , I think he made a derogatory comment about hot rodders . I thought he was just a crazy old man , now I know I was a dumb kid !

58 Yeoman

I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

I did some scraping and vacuuming and then gave the inside a bath. I'm hoping that after it dries, what's left of the mice smell will dissipate. :) The firewall looks mostly original. Better than most I've seen. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

The floor looks better than most of them. I had a 53 6100 similar to that one I bought in Las Vegas. I kept the sheet metal and scrapped the rest. Even though they look similar the front sheet metal is completely different than a pickup. The hood is shorter top to bottom, the fenders set higher on the body, and the grille has one more bar in it. It can be made to work, it makes it look channeled.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.