What are you doing today? 2017

Started by enjenjo, January 01, 2017, 12:11:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

58 Yeoman

Hey Tony, maybe you should catch your scorpions, dub them asian, and sell them on CL?

https://tinyurl.com/ycpxjy4a
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"
Quote from: "idrivejunk"John if I can toss one more thing out, its this... more important during filler work but... how the hood is supported can have everything to do with success. If you can install the hood then straighten it, your work will be truer than had you done it on a parts stand. As a happy medium at work, often we use two parts stands for one hood, just to support it in a way similar to what the hood side bumpers do. Because every panel is different and some matter, some don't. It is possible to be fighting something that goes away when latched and under tension from seals and such. Especially in the middle of the back of a hood skin where sagging is possible. Above all, quit before it hurts if you can.

Good advise and thanks.  I had better luck today but I am not out of the woods or finished.  I have the hood mounted on a jig that I made just for this job.  It is anchored at the same locations as it would be if it was one the car.  I understand that it could move around some but I am hoping for the best.  Do to my age and my physical limitations I would be unable to do what I am doing if it was still on the car.  The jig allows me to rotate it to nearly vertical, side to side, and I can also anchor it horizontally, as if it were on the car.  We will see how it fits when it goes back on the car.

John

So sorry, I remember seeing the fixture. I hope all of you can keep in mind that things I may suggest are from a mind that hears relatively few complaints from it's body, and that my focus is still tethered to a clock because car work is still a job. I shut that part down at five, share it and shoot the breeze. Theres so much to remember, to speak intelligently and adequately convey my urge to assist. If I suggest hanging a hood, think nothing of reminding me that it ain't just that easy. Because I would just as willingly help find ways to enable a seasoned and noble spirit as I would to teach a young man about bondo. I try to leave room for what I don't know, and always respect my elders...

Except Bob. Hey Bob, hows that spankin' fresh Smurfy Olds treating ya? :?:  :lol:  Wake up, IDJ is poking fun at you.  :roll: :) Merry new year, gents.
Matt

kb426

TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "kb426"Bob is too quiet!

Probably in the garage with a Q-tip feverishly preparing for next season and doesn't "need" us flawed paint types. :roll:
Matt

WZ JUNK

I am often concerned that what I type will be interpreted different than my intentions.  Believe it or not I reread my post often and edit them frequently.  Sometimes they do not hit the mark.  It seems to me that it is harder to express yourself with written words.  Our language incorporates more than just words but expressions and gestures.  A one on one conversation gives you the ability to clarify or restate a point if it is taken wrong.

As a side note to the above statements, I have a personal rule to avoid writing and typing after I have consumed adult beverages.  That seems to compound the problem.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

John, I agree completely. Because the intended emotion is not conveyed, it is entirely too easy to be misconstrued. Emoticons help but we still need to be careful. Everyone I know with a phone and text messages has been educated. :) That being said, I'll still be rude, crude and socially acceptable going into the new year. :)
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "kb426"John, I agree completely. Because the intended emotion is not conveyed, it is entirely too easy to be misconstrued. Emoticons help but we still need to be careful. Everyone I know with a phone and text messages has been educated. :) That being said, I'll still be rude, crude and socially acceptable going into the new year. :)

I would agree with John and you.

I can type some stuff out... then realize I left out things like the name  or subject of the item I am yappin about.  

On the flip side:  when i try to answer a tech question online.  Folks will read some emotion in my answer when there is none.  I try to type out a dry - straight to the point answer and they think I am an a***hole

Couple of buddies and co-workers are good at walking up to me and asking if I have that "thing"...  being a smart - a** , I will pick up any bit, tool , part  and hand it to them as they start telling me what they really  wanted. I guess the word: "thing"  is just a habit for them ?

~:)  ...  :T)
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

WZ JUNK

Good day today.   I made progress.  The oil can is gone and now I am working on the imperfection in the metal.  I may have saved the hood that I am working on.  I am not going to claim that I have salvaged the hood but I am close.  

The use of the shrinking disc is interesting.  It is a very slow process but it works. As I have moved the metal back and forth it does not seem to have changed and hardened.  When I was shrinking metal with a torch in the past I noticed that the more I worked the metal, the harder it was to manipulate.  This does not seem to be true for the shrinking disc method.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Quote from: "WZ JUNK"Good day today.   I made progress.  The oil can is gone and now I am working on the imperfection in the metal.  I may have saved the hood that I am working on.  I am not going to claim that I have salvaged the hood but I am close.  

The use of the shrinking disc is interesting.  It is a very slow process but it works. As I have moved the metal back and forth it does not seem to have changed and hardened.  When I was shrinking metal with a torch in the past I noticed that the more I worked the metal, the harder it was to manipulate.  This does not seem to be true for the shrinking disc method.

John

Sounds like you are getting the hang of it. Good to hear. :)
Matt

UGLY OLDS

YAWN............ :?     Somebody call me  :?:       I have been away ...... :oops:   In fact , I think that I am still away.. :shock:  Have a safe & happy New Year........ 8)      I SHALL RETURN   :!:  :!:   ( Wait.......Thats already been used.....) :oops:

Bob...... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

Rrumbler

Suffering a bit of new years eve ennui, Bob?  Me, too.
Rrumbler - Older, grouchier, broken; but not completely dead, yet.

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

58 Yeoman

I made bagna cauda for my wife for lunch. She's never had it, and she liked it. It's Italian, and is made with 1 stick of butter, 1 can anchoivies, 2 tablespoons of minced garlic and olive oil if you want that. Sautee it for 20 minutes and eat with lettuce and Italian bread as a dip. Yumm...
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

Celebrated our 28th  wedding anniversary yesterday .

UGLY OLDS

YAWN.... :oops:   Wait ...Is this thread done  :?:  :?:  :?   Oops... :shock:  :(D)  :-}

Bob... :wink:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****