49-54 Chevy stock front spindles converting to Buick disk bk

Started by rooster, November 27, 2004, 09:55:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rooster

Anyone tell me whats involved in converting to front disks on stock spindles 50 chevy. 78-85 Toronado, and Buick Rivia are the rotors im looking to  use. Ive found alot of info on converting rears but nothing on the fronts with the exception of aftermarket kits. Anyone done it? TIA

enjenjo

There are several ways to do this.
The hub and rotor you have, so what you need is a caliper bracket.

For a GM caliper, you can get a front backing plate from a full size Blazer, and modify it to fit the Chevy spindle. It may take cutting and welding to make it work.A mid 70's Chevelle caliper will fit in the Blazer bracket.

If you have the skill, and the tools, you can cut a bracket out of 3/8" steel plate to fit either size GM caliper, the large one or the metric one

A Granda/Maverick/Torino caliper has a bolt on bracket, you could adapt that to the Chevy spindle too.

AMC used a Ford type caliper, and that is a bolt on bracket also.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

I used a Granada on my 53 truck. I made a spacer for the large bearing, shortened the length of the spindle, threaded it some more, made an L shaped bracket to bolt the top of the caliper mount to. The bottom of the bracket bolted to the bottom bracket on the spindle. There may have been an inner bearing that was the correct size, I just didn't research it. I removed the entire brake system from the donor car. No engineering  needed. I just did install the Royal stainless king pin and bearing kit sold by SSB. My first impressions have been positive. If it lasts forever, it'll be great.
TEAM SMART

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"There are several ways to do this.
The hub and rotor you have, so what you need is a caliper bracket.

For a GM caliper, you can get a front backing plate from a full size Blazer, and modify it to fit the Chevy spindle. It may take cutting and welding to make it work.A mid 70's Chevelle caliper will fit in the Blazer bracket.

If you have the skill, and the tools, you can cut a bracket out of 3/8" steel plate to fit either size GM caliper, the large one or the metric one

A Granda/Maverick/Torino caliper has a bolt on bracket, you could adapt that to the Chevy spindle too.

AMC used a Ford type caliper, and that is a bolt on bracket also.

We had a good day at u-wrench-it yesterday! Found a full size Blazer just before it was crushed! It was the only one thay had. The dust cover on 1 was bent some the heavy plate looks ok. Not a bad deal for 5 bucks apeace. The best part about it was about all the work was done, someone allready got the hub ,rotors,calipers!

I havent seen Dans spindle yet, hes planing on removing hub and drum brake today and see what has to be done to fit the backing plate to fit the spindle.

Found this at your Page http://www.enjenjo.com/techart/70impaladisc.html
Its a good explanition of what we are to do, only different parts, and less work.

Dan also picked up a 78 Camero rearend and a Proportion valve from a 88 s10.

enjenjo

rooster

It looks like a bit will have to be trimed on the blazer brake plate to clear some of the casting on the 50 spindle. Triming the Blaser plate so it can rest against the mounting surface of the 50 spindle with the caliper's top bolt resting at the 2 oclock position! Then we can place the 50 hub in the Toranado rotor, put it on and see where we stand. We may do this with a  plywood template first!

The hub on the 50 is ball bearings! Can this be upgraded? To a roller bearing without changing the spindle? Anyone!!!!!!!!!!

DIRTYT

few questions regarding this. are u going to be upgrading your stock master cylinder?  And other then the trimming of the backing plate is this a direct bolt in swap? Ive never heard of using these parts for this. and i would love to do so on my 50 chevy. keep us up dated on the progress for sure!

Bryan

rooster

Quote from: "DIRTYT"few questions regarding this. are u going to be upgrading your stock master cylinder?  And other then the trimming of the backing plate is this a direct bolt in swap? Ive never heard of using these parts for this. and i would love to do so on my 50 chevy. keep us up dated on the progress for sure!

Bryan

This is not my project, my son is helping the owner, Dan. I help when I can, but they do all the wrenchin!!! The brakes are the starting point. I have never heard of this swap either, but sounds easy enough! The 4 mounting holes will have to be redrilled to fit the 50 spindle. Will know more after they fit a template against the spindle with where the caliper will rest. Once ths is done the Blazer plate can be altered to fit around the spindle flush.

The master cyclinder will be upgraded! Dan has looked at some of the aftermarket products but has a open mind! Options of where to mount and what to use for the system are welcome! aftermarket or otherwise!

The ballbearing hubs are in question now! Thought there may be a upgrade without changing spindle ! Maybe you can help

Hope you find this info useful on your 50. Stay on it!!!!!!!!!!!!

DIRTYT

i forget what company it is but there is a brake company that sells a caliper braket for 125 and this includes a list of what bearings and rotors u can use. i think they use alot of gm g-body parts with that swap. but on my car i have stock brakes and had no problem with the bearings and i have cruise 65 for a little more then a hour and have not had any problems from them. i would think if u just have the jam nut adjusted proberly and well greesed it should not be an issue. maybe think about putting new repo bearings in. u can get those from Kanter. if and when i got to do this i think thats the route im going to take.  ill see if i can find out the company that sells those kits. but i do belive there may be a sleeve involved.

bryan

GPster

If the brake pedal arrangement is like on my '53 the master cylinder is also the pivot place for the pedals. You could leave the master cylinder in place to mount the pedals and gut the master cylinder and turn the actuating rod to the cylinder and make it long enough to pass through the old master cylinder and work a new master cylinder mounted behind it.This would keep the master cylinder on the chassis and not have him mounting hanging pedals off the firewall. GPster

rooster

Quote from: "DIRTYT"i forget what company it is but there is a brake company that sells a caliper braket for 125 and this includes a list of what bearings and rotors u can use.  ill see if i can find out the company that sells those kits. but i do belive there may be a sleeve involved.

bryan

eci is one of them! A late GM/Ford tapered roller bearing can be added to a 50 stock spindle, a bearing adapter may or may not be required. There install is rotor and caliper specific! Or equivalent! Witch leaves it wide open.

http://www.ecihotrodbrakes.com/early_chevy_discbrake_conversions.html

The idea behind the upgrade from Ballbearings  to Tapered is avalibality in case of a *Flagstaff type brake down!
I called Parts America today to check parts avable and prices for stock bearings, outer 19.99,inner 51.49,seal 9.29, for one side, 2 days to get it, I live in St Louis.

* Flagstaff or Flagstaff Syndrome: That place in Arizona that sucks the economical resources from hotroders,and the home of Murphy's Law! See: Enjenjo, or Denise

Kanter I checked today, thers looks like stock applacations 41-54! seen no swap info.

rooster

Temperature improved this week and Dan started doing more work on the 50 Chevy disk
brake conversion. The second picture is of what the Blazer backing plate looks like with the
dust covers removed.

The orignal 50 chevy brake drums were riveted to the hub , these were drilled out, we
plan to install the rotor over the lugs on the hub and let the wheel and lug bolts hold
everything in place!

To enable the stock chevy hubs to fit inside the 80 Tornado rotors they had to be ground
down about 1/8th" all the way around (first picture)! With a 1/2" drill we spun the hub
on the spindle! Connection to the hub was made with a 2" rubber coupling used for
plastic pipe, then stepped down to about 1 1/2 " with a piece of wood, a radiator hose
went over the wood and then over the head of the drill, all held together with hose
clamps, then gray tape for protection. It worked out well!

With  the turned hub in place the lugs on the 50 hub were not long enough for a full fit!
Tomorrow were going to mock up the fit of the backing plate with the caliper attached to
determine where trimming is needed for a flush fit against the spindle and caliper
clearance, should be somewhere around the 2 o'clock position.

Dans 50 Chevy has a original master cylinder under the floor. The upgrading of that will
be next! This will mean that the master cylinder will be lower than the calipers! A power
booster is not in the plans at this time.

Dans Chevy will have 75 Chevell calipers on the front and 78 Camaro rear Drum brakes.
Any ideas on what master works out best on this under the floor install ?

Tex Smith has a book on this but I cant find it, for sale or at the Library

enjenjo

I'm proud of you Denny, I knew you could figure out a way to spin that hub :lol:

Dorman and other make a stud with the same head and knurl, but about 3/8" longer stud, I think it's listed for a mid 60's Vette.

I believe the stock brake pedal is supported by the master cylinder, so you either have to keep it, or fabricate a new mount. I have gutted the stock master cylinder, to have something to mount the pedal on, and run a rod through it to a new master cylinder behind the stock location.  Since the Chevelle, and Camaro had virtually the same brake system, a manual brake master cylinder from either one would work. You will have to figure out a way to fill it. The combo valve frome either one will work too. you may still need some type of residual valves to keep the pedal high for the first brake application.

You could also firewall mount a later brake master cylinder and pedal assembly, 70's Ford truck is simple and works good on older cars.

rooster

Quote from: "enjenjo"

Dorman and other make a stud with the same head and knurl, but about 3/8" longer stud, I think it's listed for a mid 60's Vette.

I found a post in a net search (Lug stud) says Dorman 610-186, or GM # 3910340! I havent found a parts store yet that carries Dorman.

Summit racing also has them $20 for 10 studs (Morso) plus shiping. Could do that! Just need to be cut down 2 7/8". "Description:

.560" DIA. KNURL AND QUICK START DOG END, fits most late GM disc brake and early drum brake applications. STANDARD HOLE SIZE: .552" to .559".

Greg and Dan did a bit more grinding with a stone tonight and the backing plate should now fit!

phat rat

Do you have a local shop that caters to the circle track crowd. If so there's  your source for the wheel studs
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.