GM Metric power steering box and hoses/fittings

Started by GPster, August 04, 2022, 07:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

How is the name of pressure fittings  that use an "O" ring to seal named? If I knew how to refer to them maybe I could look them up and get smarter. That's my stupidity but this is the problem. The Jeepster has a power steering box that is '87 GMC S15. I changed the power steering pump to one from a '91 (?) S10 to get a pump with a fluid tank on it. It works with a assortment of hoses from both donor vehicles. To make the combination of hoses work I had a short line made (3 1/4") so I could keep the power steering pressure sender in line so steering (parking) wouldn't stall an idling engine. The fitting on the pressure hose from the pump leaks and the "O" ring doesn't seal and tightening the fitting nut seems to flatten the "O" ring to the point of splitting. The fitting nut on the 3/8" line coming out of the steering box is different than the normal 3/8" line nut as it is larger (18mm) ang has a longer boss on the bottom even though it fits the threads of a regular (3/8") line fitting.. Does this different nut in the steering box require a different seal? I went to the parts store and i drew a blank stare about the "O" rings and all they could offer is to try and match them by size and I bought their last three. The 3 1/4" 
line I had made is a copy of the original line that I broke when I took the pump off the '91. So I'm not sure what kind of seal was on it. any comments would be welcome. GPster

enjenjo

That fitting requires a Teflon O ring seal. If you can't find one let me know.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

GPster

I went two NAPA and they had teflon "O" rings so I got one to try it but still had a leak. I took the line I had made out and I'll examine it to made sure it's not cracked. It looks like it might work maybe I didn't get it tight. Don't know which way to go. Maybe I'll go to a GM truck parts department and see if they can find the part that I had duplicated and see if it comes with the right "O" rings. It's too hot to be able to think clearly about it. GPster

GPster

Re-thinking the 3 1/4" line that I broke and  had duplicated from the original broken piece. I didn't save it with the original fitting nuts so the 6an nuts on both ends was a guess. I had one made originally with 6an nuts on both ends and it seemed to work but there was the concern about vibration splitting that short of a line so I looked in my collection of hoses and fittings from/for this project and I found some of the 6an nuts that were beefier that had been for either the steering box or the pump. So I had another line made using the beefier fitting and a normal fitting and I tried it with a teflon seal. It leaked. The line seemed to be loose so I tried to tighten that beefier nut tighter and it seemed like it wouldn't seat because the nut wouldn't  tighten enough to seat. Well thinking that my good intention was mis-thought I tried the first line I had made and it didn't seem to leak as badly. Of course like a fool I had only gotten one of those Teflon "O" rings and I had put it together with the used  "O" ring (which was questionable) so tomorrow is another try. While I'm at it, another question. What are the thought about me taking the power steering pressure switch out of this system . The computer is still in this system and controlling the engine's idle. GPster

GPster

Well I went to NAPA and got  couple 3/8" teflon "O"rings and A couple 3/8" regular "O"rings too. I installed a new "O"rings on the line and no leaks.that seems to have fixed that problem with a couple of days driving on our brick streets. So I proceeded to another problem. My directional signals wouldn't cancel after a left hand turn ( with no dash lights and as noisy as this rattle trap is) I wanted to fix that to let everybody know what my intensions were. Replacing a popped out spring would have been nice but there's too many opening in a tilt column to expect that the spring would still be there. So I bought a new switch and borrowed the lock plate removal tool from Auto Zone (not remembering that I bought my own tool the last time I did this). So I've almost got it back together. That's what I've been doing today for the last week. GPster