Airbag crash sensor question

Started by purplepickup, March 18, 2018, 05:42:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Not a hotrod question but someone might be able to answer it. The car I bought that hit a deer doesn't have signs of the airbags going off but the airbag dash light is on.

I took the bag out of the steering wheel and it looks good but while working on the front end I found that one impact sensor is gone (wires look ripped apart but not touching) the other sensor has a cracked housing. I took it apart and it's a solid state crash sensor (TRW)...no mechanical parts, just a circuit board.  I need to replace both sensors and my question is, can I use junkyard parts or do I need to buy new. Google says the mechanical sensors reset themselves but I can't find much about the solid state sensors.

I know I need to remove the control module from under the dash to see what condition it is in but haven't done that yet.
George

idrivejunk

You probably know better by now than to expect a definitive answer from me. I say yes to salvage parts but with footnotes. Get enough of the parts. I fixed plenty of wrecks but with OE parts. When doing my personal vehicle after wreck I swapped control module, bag, bag, from my twin car because the control module is the sensor. But even doing so with same car same year, there were completely different bags and connector colors. But it worked, no more light. With your remote sensor arrangement, normally in the past, replacing just the damaged component and wiring was all I ever knew about and that worked. So I'd wager that salvage will do, IF its good. Damage is not normally visible at the control unit on ones I've done, its normally replaced as a matter of protocol from the car maker as far as I know.
Matt

enjenjo

Have you read any of the air bag codes? That might let you know if it's more than just sensors.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

I just did that in the truck I bought. Ended up replacing all the air bag sensors, having the air bag control module reflashed and getting both front seat belts rebuilt. I found sensors on EBay for a good price. I think if it was me I would replace the two visually bad senors first then read the codes again.  I replaced too may parts on mine before I found out that I needed a safety clip on one of the air curtain bags. One of the many scanners I have actually pointed me to that bag. I just had to do a lot of research to define the problem.
Don Colliau

purplepickup

Quote from: "enjenjo"Have you read any of the air bag codes?
Not yet. I took the battery out when I tore the front end down and I'm leaving  it out until I check the wiring and replace the front sensors. I know they need replacing. I still don't know if used solid state (non mechanical) sensors are reuseable. I might be able to find a junkyard car that the bags didn't deploy. Those should be safe to use.

And thanks Don & Frank for your suggestions to check codes while I'm replacing parts before I replace everything. I'll do that after I clean up the wiring. There are some other connectors and wiring that need checking.
George

Carps

Quote from: "purplepickup"I might be able to find a junkyard car that the bags didn't deploy. Those should be safe to use..
Yup.  That's a good place to start.
Carps

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift.

idrivejunk

I must be way out of the loop, and I have a question if thats alright. It sounds like some of you can read airbag codes. Are you guys using high end aftermarket scan tools or OEM?  :?:  :?
Matt

purplepickup

Quote from: "idrivejunk"It sounds like some of you can read airbag codes. Are you guys using high end aftermarket scan tools or OEM?  :?:  :?
My OBD2 scanner doesn't do restraint systems but you can get aftermarket ones that do. I'm hoping to borrow one.
George

enjenjo

There are a couple code readers I have "borrowed". One is a Snap On, the other one is from All Data (sp).
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

348tripower

Quote from: "idrivejunk"I must be way out of the loop, and I have a question if thats alright. It sounds like some of you can read airbag codes. Are you guys using high end aftermarket scan tools or OEM?  :?:  :?

I bought a Foxwell scanner for the Hemi wagon. I then updated it with the gm software. It does read airbags and sensors. It has a lot of functions the others don't have.
Don Colliau