F100 disc brakes

Started by Sean, February 15, 2004, 10:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sean

I asked you this a long time ago, but I have forgotten what you said. What years of Ford Trucks can I use to put Disc Brakes on my '65 F100? And do I need beams and all, or just the spindles and Brake parts?

Drilling the Drums helped quite a bit on the Brake fading, but not as much as I first thought it did. Right before we pulled the motor out yesterday, I did my best to try and blow that motor all over the road. I didn't succeed, but I did find out that shutting it down fast from 100+ caused almost total loss of Brakes...

This new motor is going to be a lot stouter than the one I was running and the shutdown area at Wentzville is pretty short. For that matter, I hear the Mokan track has a short shutdown area too. I don't need to end up off the end of the track at either place so I think my best bet would be to quit experimenting with the Drums and go to Discs.

Sean

And by the way, some of you will remember all the trouble I was having with that engine a few months ago. We pulled the heads off today and #8 Cylinder was cracked. I don't understand why setting the timing back made it quit cutting out, but it did. Maybe it was a combination of the two....

Cam looked good, lifters all looked good, no bent pushrods or broken springs. #8 was the only thing we could find wrong with it. It had apparently been like that for a while too, because the area at the top of the cylinder where the ring groove would be was pitted badly. You could see the stains on the cylinder wall too.

I tried to take a picture of it, but they all came out fuzzy. I guess I was too close.

enjenjo

You should be able to use spindles and all on your beams, up to 1974 off an F100. Get the master cylinder and brake valve too.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Sean

Quote from: "enjenjo"You should be able to use spindles and all on your beams, up to 1974 off an F100. Get the master cylinder and brake valve too.

Whats a brake valve?  And what would be easier, swapping the spindles or swapping the entire I beam? The only time I ever dealt with knocking out King pins was on an old Grain truck, and by the time I was done I was highly stressed (to put it nicely).

enjenjo

The valve down on the frame that all the brake lines go through. Combination valve is the official name.

I wiuld just change the spindles, should be easy, and outside of toe in no alignment is needed.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.