Power steering on the Jeepster

Started by GPster, Today at 05:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

GPster

It's been a while but I read it every day. The Jeepster is basically a re-bodied a 1987 GMC S15 pick-up with the 2.5L engine. Because I set the engine further back in the frame I've had to re-work the power steering hoses. I haven't been able to control leaks at the fittings. I changed the pump to one from a '91 S10 to get a pump with the tank and fill on the pump to clean up the total package. The installation has the pressure switch in the pressure line to let the computer control the engine idle for the additional strain on the engine (?). The "T" fitting for the switch is the first component in the pump's pressure line but I've been having leaks at the 6AN 3/8" fitting at both the pump and the tee. I had a straight line made with new 6AN fittings on both ends (about 6" long)but I had leaks with it. I thought maybe there was too much vibration in the hose so I made a bracket mounted to the engine that held the hose at the point that the hose goes to metal so all of the tubing and the fitting are supported to the engine. To go one step further there is an adapter that goes from 6AN to inverted flare so I got that adapter and put an inverted flare on one end of the tube I had made and I've got leaks at the new inverted flare to adapter. I'm so frustrated with this thing that I have to ask for any ideas. Also where are you guys getting "O" rings for these 6AN fittings? I went to four parts stores yesterday and they all go to a box that has a collection of "O" rings. Two stores were out of the "O" rings of that size, one store was going to sell me a Dorman selection of "O" rings that probably only had one that might have been close enough to try. I can't believe that with power steering almost being a given, that the correct "O" ring would have a Known supply. I also can't believe that a simple inverted flare connection would leak. Let me knw if you've had problems like this and what you did to live with it. Even if it only gives me something to read. GPster

WZ JUNK

I have had great luck with adding a thin copper washer like gasket to inverted flares that leak.  I have not found these locally but I have ordered them on Amazon.  They are cone shaped like the inverted flare and they simply go between the two halves of the fitting. 

You can get a selection of O rings at Harbor Freight.  It is always a gamble about the quality at Harbor Freight but I have been pleased more than disappointed.

Good to hear from you Joe.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

kb426

I use to buy the orings from any Aeroquip dealer. I'm pretty sure my local Carquest has orings because they sell fittings for hoses. My thought about the hose ends is are they all an flare or are they 45 degree. I'm sure you know but an's are 37 degree.
TEAM SMART