48 chevy truck

Started by kb426, September 07, 2022, 04:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

sounds like you had a tough day. Sometimes the harder you work the behinder you get . Walk away , fix something else and then get back to it .

58 Yeoman

Bill, I've found that Rain-X works well.  The faster you go, the better it works.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

kb426

Phil, Rain X is standard at my place. C.K., I have a plan. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

Color me totally embarrassed. I called the tech guy and he told me what I was doing incorrectly. Sheesh. Getting senile is tough. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Phil

kb426

O&S is pleased to report that the record is 2 for 2 today. Phil, the simple answer is I installed it facing the same way that every wiper motor I have installed went. Not that one. I didn't think there was anyway it would clear the dash brace the other direction. It is close. :) I might have 30 minutes as compared to my 6 hours of work yesterday. Switch is in the correct spot, wipers go back and forth. It's a heck of a deal. I hope I'm done being stupid for a while. It sure seems easier with age. I bought a new starter when I was buying all of the parts last spring. It never sounded right, always drug the instant it was energized. As I said, I was planning on replacing it before it almost failed to start when hot. The better starters that I had been using were all gold zinc colored. The one I took out was all cad. The one I received today was all silver. I had a small panic moment. It came with a dyno test sheet and the numbers all look good. I installed it and it sounded right and did it's job. The new unit is China and the previous unit was Malaysian. ???? Maybe I just got a bad unit. :) The right side gauge cluster is removed and in the box, ready to be sent in for a little warranty work. I can still drive the truck, I just have no gauges. LOL. Those of you that have followed my builds are aware that I don't hide my mistakes. It's part of life to make mistakes if you keep learning. Yesterday was brain damage. :)
TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

Glad you got that taken care of, Bill.  Dermatologist told me today that the biopsy he took on my nose near my eye needs surgery. Crap!  He also took a biopsy on my right shoulder; we know that one will probably need surgery as well.  The center is down to only one surgeon now, so it will take a while to get it take care of.

I sandblasted the four Corvair wheels this afternoon.  Getting a couple cans of paint tomorrow at the auto paint store, $25 per 16oz. can. Marina Blue.  Wish they'd been black, it would've been cheaper.

Phil

kb426

Today was spring day. :) I purchased a pair of 400lb. units for the rear. I removed the 500s from the rear and changed out the fronts 575s for the 500s. It's better. I need to add some preload to the rear and remove a little from the front. I'm not sure the front isn't still a little to much. In another note, UPS seems to have lost the gauge cluster in Rapid City while it was on the truck for delivery. When I called Dakota and asked about options, I was told that they could do a special order of the one unit,,,,, in about 10 weeks. I'm going to start the claim process tomorrow. The shipping store was able to talk to a person this morning who said it would be delivered today. Not so, exhaust pipe breath. I don't like my options at this point. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S is very pleased to report that the gauge fiasco is about to be rectified. This morning, I check the tracking and it's the same since tuesday. About 8:15, an email arrives with a tracking number. ????? I open the email and it's an automated response from Dakota Digital.  I call Dakota and give them the rma number. Yes, it's been repaired and it's on the way. I ask some questions and the salesman connects me to the tech that did the repair. I had to leave a message and asked for a call back. About noon, the tech called and told me what he did and that they do a full test on every instrument that goes out the door and it passed as a new unit. The tracking says I should have it on tuesday so I'm quite relieved at that. I hope that's the end of this story. :)
TEAM SMART

jaybee

I think you're about 300# lighter than a C4 and 700# lighter than an S550 Mustang, so it makes sense your spring rates required some guesswork. Plus you're dealing with less overhang both front and rear...quite a bit at the front!
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

O&S is pleased to report that the cluster has arrived and is installed, without event. :) I have no excuse to continue work on the interior panels and I have the Ford Taurus fan to install. I'm debating on whether or not to purchase a copper radiator and remove the ebay alum unit. In 2018, I bought a copper unit from Advance Auto for less than $200. Can't do that anymore. I hate buying twice but when I'm done, I want to be done for many miles. :) The ebay radiators are pressure tested I wonder how long it will last with road use. Surely constant heat cycles has some effect on the life of them. ???
TEAM SMART

kb426

I've been fighting a decision on my door panels for a few weeks. My sewing machine isn't powerful enough to do what I want. I have looked at other options and wasn't convinced that it would be good in the long run. Today I decided to make metal panels, bead roll, flange, etc. and paint them white. I have enough metal left over to do that. We have some crappy weather ahead but when it warms up, I will get started.
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Sounds good  :)  I kept trying to come up with a witty cluster fudge remark.  :)
Matt

kb426

O&S plodded along for a bit today. My upholstered panels weren't working as intended. The final blow was the light color showing shoe marks every time anything got close to them. I had enough abs to make new panels. The console panels are black, the kick panels are white. I haven't made a decision as to leave them white or paint them to match the trim in the cab. I plan to paint the new door panels in the trim color. I don't have a plan for embossing them yet so I moved on to spraying in the yard. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S ordered some 55 and newer arm rests for the truck. Is it a truck??? They have angled bases that will need a wedge to be made. The bolt spacing was the same, though. The AD version looks like ancient history. The 55 version has some trim and I can remove the top and upholstery it to match with whatever color I decide. I'm still chasing the miss. I swapped o2 sensors, checked plugs, swapped mass air sensors with all 3 that I have. I think it's a lean pop. I have looked for any air leak I can find. We all know that a vacuum leak is most prominent at idle. It idles like it should. I can unplug the IAC and it idles as it should. If I remove a cap on the unused vacuum lines, it instantly speeds up. I have replaced the pcv valve and checked for vacuum in the crankcase. I haven't found a thing. I have checked and rechecked for a leak between the mass air sensor and the throttlebody. NADA. I'm leaning towards the import mass air sensor being less than perfect. Out of ideas so I think I'll order a different brand and see what happens. It doesn't sound right off idle. In using the others, it sounds different off idle and then is out of calibration limits. I have looked at other systems but I really prefer the reliability of a factory system. I'm not ready to give up, just frustrated. I have not had this happen before in many installs.
TEAM SMART