What are you doing today ? 2019

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, January 01, 2019, 10:18:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arnold

Quote from: "sirstude"One of the things I was looking forward to with retirement was not having to get up and go to work in the snow.  We finally got a bit of snow over the weekend and today I have to go to the doc so did not get out of the snow.  Blood tests tomorrow morning early too, so another day of icy roads.  We only got an inch or less this time.  Really mild winter here so far.

Full on winter here..S. Ontario..only about 2-3 days since Nov when it has been above freezing. Everything is/has been covered in snow..no breaks since about Nov 2-3. Not much snow..quite a few freezing rain type events. Most days are about -10C and there is/has really been NO SUN :cry: Pretty much EVERY DAY is dull/dreary. Every several days we get a GLIMPSE of some weak sunlight for several minutes..maybe. Anything frozen,icy STAYS that way. Just the way it was in early Nov.

Crosley.In.AZ

I suspect you guyz have days like mine are (usually)...

I need my floor jack out back. Btw: it is rainy and cold here again.

Wheel the floorjack across the shop... the swivel casters are doing that quik  dancing , bobbing, flopping thing.  :idea: So, I flop the jack on its side to grease the * swivel  wheel bearings. Cant find my grease needle (yet).. As I look for the grease needle attachment ,  I find the Matco spark plug tester I thought was long gone  (see photos). It was way deep in a drawer on the tool box.

Find the grease needle. Get the jack swivel casters lubed up, Work great now.

I finally get out back of my shop.. Jack up the Bugeye Sprite to move it sideways a bit..  Get that done..  I notice the steering is frozen, will not turn, the car has sit unused for decades before it was given to me in 2001.  So , I tilt the front end open, start looking at the steering...

By then , it was time for some lunch , then a nap. Although I do watch some TV while I take a nap.   :roll:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

purplepickup

Spraying varnish on an oak TV stand I made. It's 48 degrees, sunny, no wind, and no bugs. Perfect for spraying outside.

Not a normal Michigan January.
George

WZ JUNK

I have owned a new Apple computor for a week and I am learning to use it without calling it names or referring to its parentage.  Half way through the week I ordered the book for Dummies on switching from a Windows base to Apple.  Since we have iPhones and an iPad, we felt we need to go to the apple computer.  Another good reason is that our son works with Apple base products and he is our free 24 hour tech service.    Everything synchronizes together.  You can view lots of things by skipping from one device to another.  I was tired of dealing with Windows and the two systems.   I will update my findings after I have used the Apple awhile.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

Harry

In between a major bathroom reno and working on the '51 Vicky.
I'm putting new master cylinder and pedal under the floor. I will need a proportioning valve.
I was told to get a good used one as the aftermarket ones are not that good.
What could be wrong with a ew one?
Also, how do I plumb the brake lines? Disc/drum combo.
Is there a drawing available?
Thank you for any and all info.

phat46

Enjoying the nice weather, while we can. I don't mind Winter, or the snow, it is Michigan in January, but no snow and upper 30's is great too. Took all the Christmas light down yesterday, it was mid 40's, balmy stuff, and today I went out and started all the small engine stuff, two snow blowers, the generator and my bike. Everything starts great, one or two pulls, except the bike. If it sits for a couple weeks it gets cranky, it took about 20 kicks to get her to light today. I find if I run everything every two weeks or so they are much easier to start when you actually need them. At the rate we're going I won't need the blowers, I have yet to shovel any snow. Tomorrow we are supposed to get back to normal Winter weather, 30+ mph winds, snow, and rain. 😀 My friend who drives a 1000 ft freighter on the Lakes just texted me, they are pulling out of the Soo Locks, and said they are expecting 23 ft. waves on the lakes! 😮 Hoping they go on the hook someplace, that would be scarey!

58 Yeoman

I'm still fighting the cold that I got at Christmas. Now, the wife has it too. I worked on boxing up a 53 Olds dash that I sold on ebay. I didn't want to ship it, but he really wanted it  in MA. I'll finish packing stuff around it tomorrow, after my VA appt. to adjust my hearing aids.

The weather here has been nice. It's 41* now at 4pm. Took the 63 Ford for a ride to O'Reilly's today to get cabin filters for both DD's.  When I came out, there was a 48ish Ford PU in the lot. Nice truck. Didn't see who the driver was inside.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

chimp koose

When packing the dash , I heard of someone shipping fragile items in a box lined with empty drinking water bottles for padding . Thought that was a neat idea !

58 Yeoman

I've got room for some flat boxes, and last year, we bought a whole bunch of one-serving take-out trays from a couple who had just had a wedding. Dirt cheap packing, and they were happy to get rid of all of them. I do a lot of recycling when it comes to packing. Empty egg cartons work well also.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Arnold

Quote from: "Crosley"I suspect you guyz have days like mine are (usually)...

I need my floor jack out back. Btw: it is rainy and cold here again.

Wheel the floorjack across the shop... the swivel casters are doing that quik  dancing , bobbing, flopping thing.  :idea: So, I flop the jack on its side to grease the * swivel  wheel bearings. Cant find my grease needle (yet).. As I look for the grease needle attachment ,  I find the Matco spark plug tester I thought was long gone  (see photos). It was way deep in a drawer on the tool box.

Find the grease needle. Get the jack swivel casters lubed up, Work great now.

I finally get out back of my shop.. Jack up the Bugeye Sprite to move it sideways a bit..  Get that done..  I notice the steering is frozen, will not turn, the car has sit unused for decades before it was given to me in 2001.  So , I tilt the front end open, start looking at the steering...

By then , it was time for some lunch , then a nap. Although I do watch some TV while I take a nap.   :roll:

Hey Cros..I did that last week :lol:
 The kind of rustproofing I wanted was an hr away. You make appointments FAR in advance. When they get busy..as in the fall. They open at 4 am..close at 8pm ..3 hoists..2 guys full time..takes about an hr..about 50 cars per day!  When I called they had a cancellation..could I come NOW. Roads dry away I went.
They did not charge me extra(they ALWAYS do!) for extended cab,8'box,2500 series,4x4.
 They went WAAY beyond what they had to do. I was REALLY IMPRESSED :D Nice. Great work.

A few days later I noticed they missed a few spots. Would just take too long to get it back in. It wasn't a big deal..considering the job they did.

Freezing rain..wheel the floor jack..to the truck..ACROSS frozen gravel :lol: "Wheel" This jack is a Michelin..I dunno why it is so heavy? I decided I could sacrifice an old insulated coveralls. Very thick piece of plywood for the jack base and safety stands. Tarp that got instantly covered with water. Some rustproofing spray cans. I got drenched/soaked..lots of rustproofing on me.
 Job done :D

kb426

It was in the low 50's here today. Most of the snow is gone. I fired up the 2 bikes that are in the storage building. 1 went for a short ride. At least the batteries are charged now. :)
TEAM SMART

fast401

After spending the last 30 days building Christmas gifts for my grandkids, I finally get to work on my AMX.  Getting the tail lite housings prepped for vinyl wrap.  Did a test and it turned out pretty good.
Disturbing the peace since 1970!!!!!

purplepickup

Lubed 2 of my garage doors and torsion springs today. It's amazing how much better they work! They've never been lubed since I built the garage in '95.:shock:

Thanks for the reminder Tony.   :D
George

kb426

It warmed up enough this afternoon that I gave the daily driver a flush to remove the winter wonderland from it. I've been concerned about my H.F. crane sitting outside. There was no way for any moisture to drain from the upright columns. I drilled a hole in each column and flushed with water. I think this will be a long term preventative measure to proper operation. :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

A nice sunny day here today.   I got the old truck out for some exercise, and to make sure all the internals well lubricated.  It is still fun to drive.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH