First time going to Wilmington

Started by 1800guy, September 22, 2012, 12:06:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1800guy

I think I finally have my act together to get to Wilmington - I sent my check a month ago and haven't heard back so I assume I'm accepted.  Any hints for a first-timer, aside from the obvious?  Is there food at the track, anything to be sure to bring, secret handshake or password?  I'm running in a Gas class so I imagine the fuel tank should be dry on arrival, or can I have enough in the tank to drive to the fueling point?  Any suggestions appreciated.
My project is 90% finished, with only 90% to go.

WZ JUNK

Quote from: "1800guy"I think I finally have my act together to get to Wilmington - I sent my check a month ago and haven't heard back so I assume I'm accepted.  Any hints for a first-timer, aside from the obvious?  Is there food at the track, anything to be sure to bring, secret handshake or password?  I'm running in a Gas class so I imagine the fuel tank should be dry on arrival, or can I have enough in the tank to drive to the fueling point?  Any suggestions appreciated.

There was no food vendor at the July meet but there is a Subway sandwich shop a couple of miles away and other fast food is just a little farther.  It is a pretty laid back event.  Hopefully Hooley will see your post and respond, if not PM him with your questions.

John
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

purplepickup

I don't know all the details you asked about but the people there are very easy to get along with and will help a lot..... and they have a forum here:  http://wilmingtonmile.com/index.php  where you can ask questions.  

If I were you I'd call to see if they did get your entry check just to make sure.

*edit*  I noticed the forum I mentioned above hasn't had any activity in quite a while but there is quite a bit of info on the ECTA site.
George

1800guy

Subway is good - my fast food of choice.

No luck signing in on wilmingtonmile.com. I must have given the wrong answer for "Are you human?"  

Pretty much sums up my week, though :(

1800guy

Finally back on-line after various computer horrors, self-changing passwords, nasty MSN non-support, and other fun.

Wilmington went very well - for about 50 yards.  Car felt real fast for those 50 yards and then fell on its face - each shift coming 500 rpm earlier than the one before.  Lesson learned:  Pushrods are a very poor place to save money, especially if you fail to double-check fit.  The ball end of the adjusters were not fully seated in the cup of the pushrods, so the force was riding on the rims which collapsed one by one.  Everything looked fine on assembly, but a little blueing would have been wise.  In the words of President Reagan, "Trust, But Verify".  Otherwise, a good experience - everybody very nice to deal with, and rookie-tolerent.