my older neighbor

Started by chimp koose, January 11, 2024, 11:02:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chimp koose

Its funny how you really start to look out for your older neighbors . I guess its for payback of all the years they kept an eye on things as your kids grew up . About a month or so ago my neighbor who is about 80 yrs was laying face down in the grass when I pulled in front of my house after work . I run over wondering if he is having a stroke only to find out he is making minor adjustments to his xmas display . We had a chuckle about it and a short visit . Yesterday as I pull in from work there is a firetruck in front of his house and I notice his driveway half shoveled . I am worriedly thinking heart attack as I step in the house and quiz my wife . She lets me know that the fire men have been there for some time and walked into the place . Lights were not on , on the truck . Seems like they were just there for a visit . I am going to have to tell Birney that he is beginning to scare the crap out of me !

58 Yeoman

CK, many, many years ago, I had a friend in my hometown that was driving down a country road and was passing a walnut grove where an old guy had planted years before.  He would go out there to 'check' on them every now and then.  Gayle saw him sitting in the driver seat of his truck with his head back.  She thought he had died, as he was really old.  She stopped and walked up to his truck, and when she got to the driver window, he opened his eyes and said he was alive, just taking a nap. She was relieved.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

Good to read you are watching the older  folks.. Time catches up with all of us.

Some time last summer, I noticed more people were opening doors for us at various places. I asked my wife: " are we getting that old looking?"  Her comment: I like it...  :lol:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

Bruce Dorsi

Last week, I was sitting alone on a bench at the trap range I belong to.  ...It was 40* and windy, but I didn't move for 25-30 minutes.

A couple guys came over to see if I was alright.  ...I explained that when I find a position that doesn't hurt, I try not to move.

Two bad knees, 1 bad hip, bad back, & 1 bad shoulder.  ...The "Golden Years" ???  :twisted:
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

If being smart means knowing what I am dumb at,  I must be a genius!

WZ JUNK

I live on a street that was divided up 60 years or more ago.  We have been here 45 years or so.  There are 11 houses and five of those families have lived here longer than us.  One of the things we share is a common water well.  At 74 I am one of the younger ones on the street.  :D  Large lots, older homes, and people that are more like family than neighbors.  Two weeks ago we buried one of my long time neighbors. Our street is changing.  I try to help out when I can.  I trim limbs from trees, help get a car started... or whatever else I can do, and I use my snowblower to clean the driveways of the older neighbors.  I think this may be the last year for that job.  It's been a great place to live and raise a family.

I took this photo across my front yard, looking down the street to the east, just before Christmas at day break.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

Last older neighbor encounter of mine was the day last year when her water heater ruptured. I jumped right in until her plumber arrived. Later when she brought back my shop vac it was nice and clean.

Younger neighbor on other side would say: My older neighbor who used to yell a lot left a note on their car last weekend griping about me parking where his trash bins go. Wants me to park in front of my own house.  :roll: 
Matt

416Ford

You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

kb426

A few days ago when school was out, the grandkids were playing in front of the house in the snow. The granddaughter came in the house and asked me to watch her younger brother. I asked where grandma was. She pointed and said "over there". She calmly said "some lady fell down." I grabbed my coat and headed down the street. I could see the neighbor lady sitting on the curb next to here mailbox. My wife is standing next to her. As I and the kids are walking down the street towards her, the UPS truck passes us. My wife flags the guy down. I think I'll get one arm and he'll get the other. He is not a big guy by any means. He reaches under her arms and picks her up like she weighs 50 lbs. This woman is close to 300 lbs. Hops in his truck and he's gone. We make sure the lady is ok and makes it back into her house. As we walk away I comment that being old and getting large is not a good plan. I doubt that got me any points. :) Both of the grandkids are observant. Maybe someday it will be me they're talking about. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

The across the street older neighbor just came within inches of buying my car. Carelessly reversing out of their driveway in an SUV.  :-X
Matt

chimp koose

Update on the fire truck at the neighbors. His carbon monoxide alarm was going off , new furnace fixed it .