? residual pressure valves ?

Started by 30tudor, May 22, 2004, 12:32:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

30tudor

I recall some discussion about residual valves in brake lines some time ago and remember some people suggesting Willwoods product have a poor reputation.  What other manufacture should I look at for these and where would I find them?  Thanks all.

Fat Cat

Quote from: "30tudor"I recall some discussion about residual valves in brake lines some time ago and remember some people suggesting Willwoods product have a poor reputation.  What other manufacture should I look at for these and where would I find them?  Thanks all.

we have had good success with Stainless Steel Brakes valves.

Leon

I've had good results from http://www.godmanhiperformance.com/  Do a search on their part #2792 or 2794

Fat Cat

Quote from: "Leon"I've had good results from http://www.godmanhiperformance.com/  Do a search on their part #2792 or 2794

Both of those are wilwood valves, Leon. We have never actually had any success with Wilwood valves. The 2 lb. valves will not hold 2 lbs. pressure.

purplepickup

This isn't about residual pressure valves but there's a video of an engine blowing up on Godman's site.  There's a link to it on  this page.  One dude had his hand on the blower when it blew off.
George

30tudor

Thanks for the input everyone, I'll give SSB a call on Monday.

Cheers

Ralph

Quote from: "purplepickup"This isn't about residual pressure valves but there's a video of an engine blowing up on Godman's site.  There's a link to it on  this page.  One dude had his hand on the blower when it blew off.

Yipes! He's lucky he didn't lose a hand - or worse!
Ralph :shock:
Manitoba Street Rod Association
http://www.msra.mb.ca/

GUS

Quote from: "Ralph"
Quote from: "purplepickup"This isn't about residual pressure valves but there's a video of an engine blowing up on Godman's site.  There's a link to it on  this page.  One dude had his hand on the blower when it blew off.

Yipes! He's lucky he didn't lose a hand - or worse!
Ralph :shock:

It did shake him up, but he is fine.(we have it in our shop is how I know this)

OldSub

I have the Wilwood residual valves and don't seem to have any trouble with them.  My master cylinder is under the floor, and lower than the calipers, but the brakes seem to work just fine.

How would I check to find a problem?

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

30tudor

I am getting a long pedal after my car is parked.  One or two stabs brings it back up and it stays up with no problem.  I'm thinking the valve is not holding the pressure when the car is not being used.

enjenjo

Quote from: "OldSub"I have the Wilwood residual valves and don't seem to have any trouble with them.  My master cylinder is under the floor, and lower than the calipers, but the brakes seem to work just fine.

How would I check to find a problem?

If there is a problem with the valves, the symtoms are similar to the ones described, a "long" pedal after setting for a while, or the car pulling to one side or the other on the first brake application, but not the second one
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

OldSub

Quote from: "enjenjo"If there is a problem with the valves, the symtoms are similar to the ones described, a "long" pedal after setting for a while, or the car pulling to one side or the other on the first brake application, but not the second one

So its not that it doesn't hold any pressure, but that it leaks and over time will loose the pressure?

If I quit driving my truck for a week or two I might experience one of these symptoms?

Steve@OldSub.com
www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com

enjenjo

Quote from: "OldSub"
Quote from: "enjenjo"If there is a problem with the valves, the symtoms are similar to the ones described, a "long" pedal after setting for a while, or the car pulling to one side or the other on the first brake application, but not the second one

So its not that it doesn't hold any pressure, but that it leaks and over time will loose the pressure?

If I quit driving my truck for a week or two I might experience one of these symptoms?

If it will hold pressure after an application or two after storing it for a while, I wouldn't worry. I have had new Wilwood valves that wouldn't hold pressure for 1 minute.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.