Hood Side Panel Fasteners

Started by 34ford, March 14, 2007, 10:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

34ford

Couldn't find any aftermarket ones so created my own. Made some L-shaped brackets to mount on the side panels. Cut a long slot in this piece so the panel can be adjusted in or out.  I welded mine on but in hind site I wish I  would have use some panel adhesive or some other way instead as there was some shrinkage to deal with on the outside of the panel.

Next for the pins I took a  1/4" stainless bolt and put it in the drill and turned it while working it on my bench grinder. You can see the progress from start to finish in the picture. Once the point was finished I polished it up. Put a nyloc nut on the bottom so it would stay in place and not have to deal with it moving up and down while putting on the other one and keep the depth where it needs to be. Couple of oversize washers and a nut and its all finished.

The brackets that mount on the inner fender panel were made with a  hole large enough to put in a grommet in so the pins will not rattle or rub metal on metal. Panel with the studs slide into these.

The top of the panels fasten to the brace on top with two allen screws so the removal of a couple of allen screws and the panels can be lifted off and not have to unbolt anything on the bottom.

enjenjo

Looks good. And not a big buck deal.  I like it.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jusjunk

Did the same thing on the 32 but a little different. My pins are on the frame side and are also adjustable there. I first saw thw idea at Louisville when i was getting ready to do my car. I happened to look at a 32 i liked and saw the hood mounts and made a small mental note (small mind) and ran with the idea when i got home.. If i get time ill get a pic of mine.
Dave :arrow:

rumrumm

Brilliant minds think alike, Bob! I did the same thing but like Dave, I have the pin threaded into the top of the frame rail so the hole in the hood tab fits down over it. I like the rubber grommet idea. I used a polypropylene washer made from a piece of leaf spring liner.
Lynn
'32 3W

I write novels, too. https://lsjohanson.com

UGLY OLDS

NEAT  :idea:  :idea: Boy, if a guy isn't learning something from all these tech post's , he's gotta be asleep :!:  :!:  :!:
1940 Oldsmobile- The "Ugly Olds"
1931 Ford sedan- Retirement project

***** First Member of Team Smart*****

enjenjo

The hardware store has some plastic grommets for light cords that work real good for that.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.