Suspension bushings

Started by jaybee, March 23, 2024, 07:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaybee

I found something that might help someone. It's actually something I've been thinking about for a while, but I get no credit for thinking of it and not building it. Rod ends on the street can wear out. Tie rod ends are sealed better, but don't fit every application. Poly bushings are available for almost every application, but they can squeak due to stiction. Delrin bushings are self lubricating, but have such high durometer there's no tolerance for anything but a pure pivot application. No eccentricity allowed.

Why, I thought, couldn't you make a bushing that's 3 layered. The usual steel sleeve in the middle to prevent crush, A Delrin sleeve to prevent stiction, and a poly bushing around that to reduce the overall durometer. I thought it made enough sense I was surprised no one has done it.

Someone has done it. CHE Performance specializes in the Crown Vic and 1979-2014 Mustang lines. They seem to be well thought in the Panther-platform space, which doesn't get a lot of love from the better known market players. https://www.cheperformance.com/collections/replacement-upgrade-parts/products/1klca

The bushings are pretty affordable at 4 for $40, but they're also customizable. They make these things on site, so if you contact them they will make them with either 1/2" or 9/16" bolts and in any width you need.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

kb426

Might be useful down the road. I could have used them in the past.
TEAM SMART