Tech entry--Engine run stand

Started by Fuzzy, May 27, 2007, 09:31:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzy

Not sure if it's a tech entry or not,but I thought I'd try.The engine isn't quite ready to run,but I think you get the idea.Because a Mopar starter doesn't bolt to the block,I had to use a bell housing.The motor mounts are adjustable front to back,in case a buddy wants to borrow it to run a SBC.Right now it's wired for a Mopar,but the harness is removable.The gas tank is from a riding lawn mower,and the battery tray is mounted lower front. :idea:
No billet for this kid!

C9

Nicely done.

Are there any problems with tipping due to engine torque when it's lit off?

Sometimes the engine in my roadster lights off like right now and is running 900-1000 rpm when cold.
Probably more noise than torque, but the car does seem to rock a bit when it starts up like that.
C9

Sailing the turquoise canyons of the Arizona desert.

Fuzzy

Thanks ! The engine still needs a cam and lifters I have sitting here on the bench,so I haven't fired it up yet.I've seen other stands and that was not an issue.I've seen a video on YouTube of a running flathead just sitting on a furniture dolly.The guy blips the throttle,and this thing is rockin' and rollin' on the dolly,but stays put.I'll try to find the link to the video,pretty amazing somebody would even try it! :shock:

Fuzz
No billet for this kid!

jusjunk

we used to run marine engines sitting on wooden blocks but they had mounts with 4 attachment points that bolt to the stringers. Ive also started sb chevys hanging from a chain hoist or cherry picker but they move around a bit. Your stand looks very nice.
Dave :arrow:  :wink:  :arrow:

Fuzzy

Thanks Dave,I don't think it will move too much.When the engine is ready to fire,I'll try to post a video. 8)
No billet for this kid!