'01 Lesabre turn signal lamp question

Started by purplepickup, October 20, 2008, 09:18:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

purplepickup

Does anyone know how to get to the bulb of the front turn signal on an '01 Lesabre.  A friend at work, who is pretty mechanically inclined, has one and says there isn't any obvious way to access the bulb.  The lens doesn't screw off and you can't get to it from behind....it's boxed in.  My thought is that you might have to remove the headlight to get access.

There's got to be a pretty simple answer so I told him I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.
George

MrMopar64

I found this on the net at.... http://www.automotiveforums.com/t905770-2001_lesabre_turn_lamp_replacement.html

"I had to change the bulb and socket (dealer $25) on my 01. The easiest way to get to the bulb is to remove the headlight. This can be done by removing the two 10mm bolts on top and lifting out the light entire assy. Check the turn signal socket for corrosion. The socket on my car had so much corrosion in it that the internal traces or wires had been eaten away. I also found water in the light assy, so I drilled a small weep hole in it for future drainage. I used diaelectric grease in the socket for the light to try to seal it better"

MM64 8)
www.rgkustoms.com
www.rg-kustoms.com
Racing.... Because Baseball, Football, & Basketball
Only Require One Ball..... Gotta Race
  :lol:

phat46

Quote from: "purplepickup"Does anyone know how to get to the bulb of the front turn signal on an '01 Lesabre.  A friend at work, who is pretty mechanically inclined, has one and says there isn't any obvious way to access the bulb.  The lens doesn't screw off and you can't get to it from behind....it's boxed in.  My thought is that you might have to remove the headlight to get access.

There's got to be a pretty simple answer so I told him I'd ask.

Thanks in advance.

Did he look in the owners manual? I just went through this with my daughters car, a '93 Topaz. A five minute job took took a half hour. Long story short you havere to out the whole turn signal unit and of course the lens separates from the  reflector during this. After regluing the lens back on and changing the bulb and putting the light back in the car it was a half hour later. I told my daughter that in "the good ol" days it took to minutes: two screws, pop off the lense rplace bulb and two screws back in the lense.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

purplepickup

Thanks guys.  I told him to check out the "go through the headlight hole" route.  He's going to try it tonight.

I don't know why they make normal maintenance things so * difficult.  I was talking to enjenjo (the knower of most things) and he said that he had a dead battery in his Bonneville a while back, popped the hood and couldn't find the battery.  He called someone to start the car and wasn't watching so he still doesn't know exactly where it is.  

More reasons that most of us put our cars together using a good dose of common sense.
George

sirstude

My 2001 GMC requires the under the headlight setup too.  At least it has 2 pull rods that allow you to remove the headlights.  GM must like that setup.

Doug
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "purplepickup"Thanks guys.  I told him to check out the "go through the headlight hole" route.  He's going to try it tonight.

I don't know why they make normal maintenance things so * difficult.  I was talking to enjenjo (the knower of most things) and he said that he had a dead battery in his Bonneville a while back, popped the hood and couldn't find the battery.  He called someone to start the car and wasn't watching so he still doesn't know exactly where it is.  

More reasons that most of us put our cars together using a good dose of common sense.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

58 Yeoman

Quote from: "purplepickup"Thanks guys.  I told him to check out the "go through the headlight hole" route.  He's going to try it tonight.

It's probably under the rear seat.  1998 chrysler cirrus is behind the left front tire, after you remove the inner fender panel.  they put two 'jump start' terminals inside the engine compartment. :roll:
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

tomslik

awwww, it warms my heart to listen to you guys.......

keeps food on my table :lol:
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

phat46

I had a Stratus and the battery was in the left front wheelwell. Had to remove the tire and take off a panel  to get the battery out. A  friend that worked at a shop said you could turn that wheel all the way to the right and wrestle it out that way...I dunno, never saw the battery in that one!

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: "tomslik"awwww, it warms my heart to listen to you guys.......

keeps food on my table :lol:

and you seem to eat well....... :shock:
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)