"To Stud" or "Not To Stud" that is the q

Started by GPster, September 07, 2006, 03:10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPster

The other day I checked at our oldest parts house, now a Bumper to Bumper, for head gaskets for that V6. The only way the have them (in stock for $55.34) is in a top end set. Trying to investigate the failure I asked if they recommended a head bolt change. The 16 year old on the other side of the counter didn't understand what I meant and went to ask somebody. He must have got instructions on how to read the screen so he came back, looked at another display, went to ask what that meant and told me I didn't have to have new bolts. I believed that and decided to wait on that purchase. Went to Advance today and they use FelPro gaskets and the head gaskets are $12.00 a piece but FelPro recommends a bolt change. When I asked the price he got a NA. He called the NAPA store and they don't show them. Then he called Bumper to Bumper and if I brought in the bolts they would match them up. Wha are the opinions floating around? These 4.3 Liter V6s are supposed to be a 350 minus 2 cylinders but I've got an engine that had the heads off and the new gasket apparently never sealed. The head bolts that came out look like the correct bolts and to me don't look like "one time only" bolts. GPster

jusjunk

Quote from: "GPster"The other day I checked at our oldest parts house, now a Bumper to Bumper, for head gaskets for that V6. The only way the have them (in stock for $55.34) is in a top end set. Trying to investigate the failure I asked if they recommended a head bolt change. The 16 year old on the other side of the counter didn't understand what I meant and went to ask somebody. He must have got instructions on how to read the screen so he came back, looked at another display, went to ask what that meant and told me I didn't have to have new bolts. I believed that and decided to wait on that purchase. Went to Advance today and they use FelPro gaskets and the head gaskets are $12.00 a piece but FelPro recommends a bolt change. When I asked the price he got a NA. He called the NAPA store and they don't show them. Then he called Bumper to Bumper and if I brought in the bolts they would match them up. Wha are the opinions floating around? These 4.3 Liter V6s are supposed to be a 350 minus 2 cylinders but I've got an engine that had the heads off and the new gasket apparently never sealed. The head bolts that came out look like the correct bolts and to me don't look like "one time only" bolts. GPster

I would guess bolt stretch would be the only reason the change them but i wonder if its really necessary? Id bet you could use the ones you have without any trouble (ive been wrong before though)
Dave

enjenjo

As far as I know, a 4.3 from that era does not have torque to yield head bolts, so you should be ok. the fact that no one lists them backs that up.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jusjunk

the fact that no one lists them backs that up.[/quote]

I was thinking that Frank but I was typing quick. Had to get the dog to the vet
Dave  :P