Fifty dollar cars and other things

Started by enjenjo, November 29, 2023, 05:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

enjenjo

They are nearly impossible to find any more. Most cars will go for $300 to $500 for scrap. And I see by the price most old cars have gold bars hidden in them. ;D

The same thing has happened to new parts. A turn signal switch that I buy for tilt columns has increased in price by $28, more than 50% in three years.

Are you seeing the same thing?
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

kb426

In 2003, I purchase a 1983 Tbird that was a 302 and aod just for the drive pulleys. I thought I would have to get a trailer to get it. The owner drove it 50 miles to my house. He kept his battery and I got the rest for $50. That ended up being the engine and trans in the red 53 chevy. I removed the cfi and installed a Holley 500 cfm 2 barrel carb that I had and changed camshafts. It ended up being a very pleasant surprise.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

I am starting another yard art project soon.  I got a square body Chevrolet truck for free and I am going to cut it up. 

Cheap vehicles are still out there but you have to look for them.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

idrivejunk

I bought a house for 62K but have paid 150K so far and only have another 30K to go.
Matt

idrivejunk

In '92 I paid a junkyard $40 to haul off my wrecked GP with a nice 400 in it. If any of you will haul off my 72 GP, I'd give you $50. Everything is there except back bumper and console. Has the stock 400/400, Qjet, Astro buckets. 7K3 heads, HEI. No title. Come steal it.
Matt

enjenjo

I went to the NAPA store friday and picked up four ft of seven wire trailer cord, and a junction box and the bill was $53. My trailer needs rewiring, 34 years and it went bad. Nothing lasts any more. Next thing you know I'll  have to replace the wood deck. ;)

Crosley.In.AZ

Prices on olde cars and parts  have removed me from that hobby (?) for now ...  I have been looking at a few old scooter projects.  I do not have the work space at the moment.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

tomslik

i still look but now i just work on old cars that other people own
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it\'s still on my list

48builder

Went to buy a battery for the '48 and was shocked when the parts guy said it was $165. Last battery I bought I think was $110 and that was only a couple of years ago.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

enjenjo

I was looking on Facebook marketplace last week and there was a 2004 Ford Explorer on there no engine or trans listed for $500 I was looking for front suspension parts, this one supposedly had a rebuilt front end on it. I offered him $300 for it. He replied he had to have $450. I countered with $350. He replied he was offered $400 by a scrap yard. I told him $350 was my best offer, he better take the $400. Saturday he messaged me and said he would take the $350 I offered. I told him I had found the parts I needed and didn't need it any more. Monday I offered him $300. Guess who bought an Explorer?

58 Yeoman

Way to go, Frank.  Did it have a rebuilt front end?
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

enjenjo

Crosley.In.AZ

I still look at various vehicles for sale... If there is No title for the vehicle, I have no interest.

Often in the ads , the seller will say how easy it is to get a title for it here in Arizona.  LOL ... Yeah and it takes money too. I am done with bonded titles. The fee$ are too high now.
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)