2 door only , 4 door cars ?

Started by Crosley.In.AZ, December 21, 2022, 07:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crosley.In.AZ

A friend I have known for 45 plus yrs.. We had a convo the other evening at dinner (tacos) about 2 door , 4 door cars (again). He is hard core 2 door car, period, end of discussion. Primarily for the look and resale.

I showed him a phone photo of a 1959 Rambler sedan 4 door car on craigs list. "Too many doors" were the first words from him. I said its a nothing car, rusty, enough patina for 3 cars. It runs and drives, new tires, a few other new parts. At $2k $$ , it is just a fun car to own , driver.

His point is valid: resale. 2 Door cars are more popular in most cases.  He thinks most non station wagon 4 door cars are parts cars.

When I owned the 1962 Dodge Lancer 4 door car... I often heard : " Kool car for a 4 door".. I seem to view the door amount different from most?  Most 2 door old cars are out of my price range now and frankly the whole old car market is pure stupid now on prices?

Thoughts?
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

kb426

TEAM SMART

58 Yeoman

I DO like some 4 door cars, the tri fives being one model.  I probably wouldn't have bought my 58 wagon if it was a 4 door; that extra door is a  lot of extra work, much like trucks needing the bed done inside and out (I've done a couple of those too).
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

idrivejunk

I am from the coupe camp. No kids, no appearance penalty required. I would not board a plane with spare empty luggage.

The current mentality now seems to be "if you didn't get four doors, you got ripped off. Two doors are kid cars."

In my case only two window regulators can go bad. The sedan camp is growing though, for the same reason all the cream puff used muscle cars were green.
Matt

jaybee

I used to be interested in 2 doors only, but my position has changed. Partly that's because the price of cars that used to be "cool" are stupidly expensive. One of my favorite cars is ever is the 66-7 2 door hardtop Chevelle. Just try affording one of those now. Fastback 1964-1970 Mustang? Better have a healthy 401k and don't plan on living too long. I used to think Mavericks were kiddie cars because they were either sixes or automatics, and I want one bad now. Even they're getting pricier.

We also live in a different world than when we were younger. Today's world has plenty of sports sedans, some of which have very high performance capabilities. Heating up a more door with wide tires, a wicked stance, and some bucket seats could be very appealing.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

Crosley.In.AZ

30 yrs ago , I had a friend that restored a 1956 base level Chevy 4 door car. 235 inline 6 with 3 speed on the column. This was a nut & bolt restoration, he followed a book with specs down to the number of staples on the fiber splash guards on the inner fender wells.  He knew going in that the car would never be worth the money & time he spent on it. He drove it to all shows around here in AZ.  He told me once that nobody restores these old 4 door cars, there needs to be 1 done.

I have no idea what happened to the guy or the car. One day around 1990 his wife walked out on him and their 2 sons. His life became a big cluster.  I heard thru mutual friends that he worked his way out of the mess.

I tend to evaluate different brand & model of cars differently for 2 door , 4 door, sedan , hardtop,  etc..

8)
Tony

416Ford

I have always been a big car fan. One of my favorite cars is a 59 Cadillac. I have always said that big cars need 4 doors, who wants to climb over the seat to get in the back.
I was building a 50 F100 when Vickie and I first got married and we realized we could not go anywhere with our friends or even carry luggage inside the truck, so we when out looking for a 4 door Looked at a Hollywood Graham  and a 46 Ford with suicide door. Guess what we choose. :)
Now we can go places with our friends in the car and we all have leg room. And if you build them right they look great.
4 Door cars are COOL.  8)  8)
You never have time to do it right the first time but you always have time to do it again.

sirstude

I am partial to 4 door hardtops, nice alternative to 2 door post cars.  There was a 58 Buick Century 4 door hardtop parked at a shop on Main street here this summer.  I walked by many times to take a look.  Sure liked that ride.
1965 Impala SS  502
1941 Olds

Watcher of #974 1953 Studebaker Bonneville pas record holder B/BGCC 249.945 MPH.  He sure is FAST

www.theicebreaker.us

idrivejunk

I did buy one 4DHT, for the 64K miles on it at the time. But it was technically a hoverbarge, not a car.
Matt

enjenjo

I had a 65 Buick Skylark four door sedan painted Cadillac Firemist Blue with a set of real Magnesium five spoke mags that I was pretty fond of. It was replaced by a four speed 69 Chevelle hardtop with Ansens and a custom flame paintjob.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

purplepickup

Growing up I never thought of a 4 door as being a cool car but now I like 4 doors on my daily drivers. They're just more practical and that's what I look for in a driver. All of our cars have 4 doors (or 5 with the hatch) except the 2dr Rambler wagon and the van.

A friend is shopping for a new truck and his opinion is that a truck should only have 2 doors. He wanted a next gen Ford Ranger (2024) but they will only come in 4 doors so he's looking elsewhere. Personally I love my 4 door truck. Riley, my dog, has his own space and I can easily access lots of functional interior real estate. The bed is a tad shorter but I can still haul 4x8 sheets of plywood.

I guess it all depends on what's important to you.
George

chimp koose

I had an extended cab 92 chev truck for years . They came out with the rear door for those a year later . Our new truck has that rear access door , man what a difference not having to climb past the front seat to get back there . I prefer a 2 door but have seen many a 4 door that I wouldnt mind owning .

bucketmouth

Down here in Oz the vast majority of cars were 4 doors at one time so we were use to them. That changed a little while back and two door cars a way more common now than they use to be.
I had a 34 ford 4 door sdn for quite a long time and it was like my daily driver and to be honest is was the most practical rod I have ever owned. I could do my shopping in it,take passengers with out having to get out to let them in,throw stuff on the back seat, it was so practical.
Tudors are so much nicer but I'm glad I had the 4 dr at the time as it really served my purpose.
Now I have a coupe,a roadster and a T bucket,the coupe is the most practical but sometimes I think a 4 dr would be better on occasions.
But I'm happy with what I've got as my hotrod needs have changed over the years.

I maybe from down under but I know which way is up.
Oh hell there goes another head rush.

58 Yeoman

I liked my 58 2 door wagon just for the uniqueness of it, but I don't miss it now that it's gone.  The guy that bought it says he's happy that it's a 2 door as the door is longer and easier for him to get in and out.  The 67 Corvair coupe I bought just because I really like the body style.

After selling the Chevy yesterday, we also sold a nice couch on FBMP.  The young guy that came to pick it up drives a SIX DOOR Ford pickup diesel. *, that thing was long. He works with caterpillars (just bought his third one yesterday) and said this is his second one.  Said it was built in TN. He bought his first one, drove it home, and his neighbor said he'd buy it. He said it isn't for sale. The neighbor said yes it is.  Okay, couldn't pass up all the money the guy threw at him. He said he's keeping this one, as  they're getting hard to find.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

I still wonder thru Craigs list daily looking at old stuff...  I have near stopped visits to facebook , so the market place there I do not see.  I am tired of all the extra sales , suggestions  &  promotion BS  from facebook
Tony