Tech entry re-contour a frame

Started by moose, May 28, 2007, 12:49:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

I am "SLOWLY" building a Model A Hiboy on 32 style rails. I started with a bare set of rails. As most know the shape of stock 32 rails and a Model A body do not match.

I laid a piece of plywood under the body to make a templete the correct profile of the coupes body.

I then took a length of cardboard the width of the rails and made a series of slits allowing me to coutour it to match the body curve. I will use this to determine where to make the necessary moves in the rails.

I marked the rails where I would need to make a slit or pie cut depending if it needed to be stretched or shrank

I then used pipe clamps and a porta-power to push and pull the rails into the new profile

The rails now match the profile we cut to fit the body.

The plan was to end up with the body just slightly channeled to hide th gap that occures between the flat Model A and curved Deuce rails.

Here is where I am to date. Progress is very slow but all good things take time Right?

I hope this technique will be of some help to someone.

Tim

Charlie Chops 1940

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

moose

Thanks Charlie,
The continuation of this chassis is what I wanted the picsa of your Jig for. Gotta get a bigger shop and finish this sucker. Hope to be on the road sometime next year....

Tim

Charlie Chops 1940

Moose,

Did I send you the pics? Short memory. If not, give me your e-mail and I'll get it done - now.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

A Hooligan!

moose

ep got the pics Thanks

Tim
p.s. gonna make it ti billetproof this year?

Charlie Chops 1940

I was hoping to but everything is apart.

Charlie

A Hooligan!

dragrcr50

That is lookin good moose............. takes time but the way it is looking shows the worth of your labor for sure..
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,

Roadstar

Looks great Moose, very clean job.

jusjunk