Break in oil

Started by phat46, January 23, 2021, 04:51:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

What is the choice for break in oil on a fresh engine build? It's been so many years since I started a new engine I don't know what is available now. Also do you still change it after the cam break in.

kb426

I don't use anything different for break in but I do change the oil sometime after 50 to 100 miles. I also drive it as soon as possible. It's important to me to have the timing and fuel set properly so it instantly fires up. I rev it up some so the splashing of oil is everywhere. That splash is the only thing that oils the cam some I want it wet. No idling for me. Today's machine work if done properly has eliminated most of break in. If the cylinders have been honed correctly and all the bearing tolerances are correct, just drive it. All my years in drag racing, all the engine needed for break in was the 1st burn out. That would take care of any thing the ring seal was missing. This opinion is also based upon priming the oil system so there is oil everywhere prior to starting. Having load on the engine hastens ring seal. Just my opinion. :)
TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"I don't use anything different for break in but I do change the oil sometime after 50 to 100 miles. I also drive it as soon as possible. It's important to me to have the timing and fuel set properly so it instantly fires up. I rev it up some so the splashing of oil is everywhere. That splash is the only thing that oils the cam some I want it wet. No idling for me. Today's machine work if done properly has eliminated most of break in. If the cylinders have been honed correctly and all the bearing tolerances are correct, just drive it. All my years in drag racing, all the engine needed for break in was the 1st burn out. That would take care of any thing the ring seal was missing. This opinion is also based upon priming the oil system so there is oil everywhere prior to starting. Having load on the engine hastens ring seal. Just my opinion. :)

It will be driven asap, but my main concern is cam break in. I keep hearing that modern oils don't contain enough zinc for the cam to break in properly. I also see oil being sold as break in oil with high zinc content. I just don't want to wipe out the cam with the wrong oil. It's got lots of assembly lube and will be preoiled too.

kb426

Your concerns are correct about cam break in. My suggestion would be to use either motorcycle specific or some other oil that contains the zinc in it. I hadn't considered that you weren't using a hydraulic roller cam. My mistake. You might consider this product or one that is similar: https://www.amazon.com/ZDDPPlus-Engine-Additive-Phosphorus-Bottle/dp/B006LBAAD4
I used to run flat tappet cams in everything like most of you have. Reading all the reports of failures spooks me. You know that some are novices but some are exp. old guys like the rest of us. :)
TEAM SMART

phat46

Quote from: "kb426"Your concerns are correct about cam break in. My suggestion would be to use either motorcycle specific or some other oil that contains the zinc in it. I hadn't considered that you weren't using a hydraulic roller cam. My mistake. You might consider this product or one that is similar: https://www.amazon.com/ZDDPPlus-Engine-Additive-Phosphorus-Bottle/dp/B006LBAAD4
I used to run flat tappet cams in everything like most of you have. Reading all the reports of failures spooks me. You know that some are novices but some are exp. old guys like the rest of us. :)

Yeah, I should had stated in my first post it is a flat tappet lifter/cam. I'm still a couple decades behind the curve! 😄

enjenjo

There are a couple "break-in" oils, Lucas oil makes one, Brad Penn is another. You can also get EOS from a GM dealer that has ZDDP in it.

If you used any Moly paste on the cam and lifters, change the oil filter after cam break-in.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Lucas oils, Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs, Royal Purple .... Many offer break in oils and additives to use after camshaft break in.

I install Shell Rotella oil in my 6cyl 1962 Falcon with a Lucas ZDDP additive.

I would change the oil after break in , at least change the oil a few hundred miles in use
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

50 F1

I recently broke in a SBC with Joe Gibbs break in oil. Everything went good. I was also concerned about the cam, but no problems. 2000rpms for 20 minutes.

Ohio Blue Tip

I use Brad Penn break-in oil and latter use Mobil 1 in everything.
Had good luck.
Some people try to turn back their odometers
Not me, I want people to know "why" I look this way.
I\'ve traveled a long way and some of the
roads weren\'t paved.

Ken

chimp koose

I heard joe gibbs was good also GM EOS . I want to hear your motor when its broken in , we have the same cam .

phat46

Quote from: "chimp koose"I heard joe gibbs was good also GM EOS . I want to hear your motor when its broken in , we have the same cam .

I'll make a video of it running, but that's still a ways off. I see now that Jegs has break in oil, We don't have anything here anymore other than chain stores for car stuff.

kb426

TEAM SMART

Beck

I've commented on this before, but here goes again.

I retired 3 years ago from an oil additive company. They were a major manufacturer of ZDDP. Using the product we made it took 1 oz. in a 5 qt. oil change to bring the content back to the good old days oil. The smallest package leaving the plant was 55 gal. drums, but you couldn't buy just 1. It was typically a full semi load. It also left the plant in tank trucks and rail cars. The product listed above is from one of the few manufacturers of ZDDP and then diluted. It looks like you're getting more when you get a 4 oz. bottle.  Actuality it would be better if it wasn't diluted, that way you could choose the oil it was cut with. When I was still working I had availability to lot samples after testing and 6 months of storage. There was usually about 8 oz. left of each sample. Most of it was recycled into new batches, but some made its way to home use. I miss some of the things from work. This is one of them.

kb426

If you can view this link, watch the Driven oil segment. It compares additives to mixed oil: https://watch.engineperformanceexpo.com/live/day-2
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Quote from: "phat46"
Quote from: "chimp koose"I heard joe gibbs was good also GM EOS . I want to hear your motor when its broken in , we have the same cam .

I'll make a video of it running, but that's still a ways off. I see now that Jegs has break in oil, We don't have anything here anymore other than chain stores for car stuff.

Auto Zone here stocks break in additive but I forgot what brand. Lucas comes to mind. Its either use that with whatever you put in your mainstream vehicles, or buy VR-1... for me, as far as the internet is concerned. One chain quit stocking VR-1 oil so I found the other that has additive.
Matt