2023: What are you doing today?

Started by 58 Yeoman, January 01, 2023, 10:14:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kb426

Matt, the filler was the right thing to do. :)
TEAM SMART

chimp koose

58 Yeoman

X3.  Funny thing about a filler panel I bought in the early 2000's for my 41 Pontiac.  A guy in one of the northern states had a nice one for the rear bumper.  I bought it, and it came in a 3' high box.  It was folded twice.  I called and asked him about it.  He said he sent it in a long box.  Checked with the post office and they found that the box had been damaged, so they folded it and put it in a shorter box. They paid for that one, and I found another.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

Crosley.In.AZ

At the Local Lowes store: noticed these tin snips.  They look kinda knarley. May even cut better than my Harbor Freight snips? :lol:

I did not buy them.  I have 2.5 sets of HF snips
Tony

Plutophobia (Fear of money)

enjenjo

QuoteWhat is turns of steer wheel lock to lock of a manual F-150 box?

Four turns lock to lock. I have a HHR electric power steering unit. I am using a GT Hawk dash that will give me more room than the stock dash.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

Crosley.In.AZ

Back in September 2021 we bought a new Whirlpool  electric stove for this place we call home..  Early on the oven made a weird noise when heating up and while in use.  We tried to locate the noise.  WHen you walk up to the stove the noise would change a bit or disappear.

My wife discovered the cause today.  She was cleaning the oven area and happened to just barely touch - move the heating element.  She has cleaned the oven before, but never heard the noise produced while cleaning.

I cut  2 aluminum angle pieces to sit under the steel supports for the heating element.  The Noise is gone. The steel element supports were moving as the element expanded and contracted during the heating process to make the odd pop noise..
Tony

Crosley.In.AZ

Quote from: enjenjo on March 08, 2023, 12:57:47 PM
QuoteWhat is turns of steer wheel lock to lock of a manual F-150 box?

Four turns lock to lock. I have a HHR electric power steering unit. I am using a GT Hawk dash that will give me more room than the stock dash.

wow.. seems like most of the older manual steering boxes were 5 turns or 5.5 turns.  My memrory is foggy though
Tony

kb426

O&S cleaned piston ring grooves today. Now, that was exciting. LOL.
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

Fabricated some more on my caltrac style bars for the old truck. 
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck
Former Crew chief #974 1953 Studebaker   
Past Bonneville record holder B/BGCC 249.9 MPH

WZ JUNK

I am still in the prototype stage of my miniature bed roller for rolling out dents in automotive trim.  It works but I am tweaking it more.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

John, did you set it up for different width bearings to accommodate different widths of trim? How about machining different shapes for a specific trim? :)
TEAM SMART

WZ JUNK

The bottom wheel has a slight crown and the top wheel is flat.  Mostly this device will be for smoothing out small dings.  I plan to do more experimenting with bearing size but the mechanism works. You open the vise grips, slip the bearing end over the trim with the curved wheel on the bottom and the one with the flat on top.  Then clamp and adjust the tension.  I have found that too much tension and rolling will stretch the metal and cause a high spot.  I have wanted to experiment with making a device like this one and I finally took the time.

I figured you would ask how I shaped the crown on a ball bearing race, when you know I do not have a lathe.
WZ JUNK
Chopped 48 Chevy Truck

kb426

^^^^^
I just thought you found a self aligning bearing to use. :)
TEAM SMART

kb426

O&S plodded along today. I checked ring end gap and installed rods and pistons. The new oil pump was installed along with the pickup and drive shaft. I didn't get a dip stick with the engine. My efforts to find one was met with failure. I bought a universal unit and proceeded to put 5 qts. of water in the pan and measured the depth of it. I then measured from the bottom of the block and marked the new dip stick. The pan got installed and the engine is in my run stand. The harmonic balancer is on and the lifters are in. That's it for today.
TEAM SMART

Crosley.In.AZ

Helped my friend re-install his steering box on his Studebaker Champ truck..  We hung the box, bolted it down. His gonna make a few minor changes to column angle, etc.  Minor stuff adjusted after you get the vehicle on the road and then learn what felt good in the garage aint so good.

Photo of the disc brake conversion on the OEM Studebaker axle.
Tony