Body mount "nuts"

Started by Charlie Chops 1940, March 06, 2007, 09:44:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie Chops 1940

I hate trying to put all the body bolts and nuts in by myself, and also hate calling for help. On the '32 build I also wanted to step-box the frame. I know that a lot of guys just eld a big nut up inside the frame and leave it at that. My experience with that is that I always seem to have to adjust a body hole afterwards.

I made up a bunch of 1/4" blanks 1-1/2" X 2" and beveled one long side to fit the inside upper corner of the frame rails.

I then drilled a 3/8" hole on either side of each body mount hole.

I clamped the blank inside the frame, cranked up the amps and rosette welded the blanks.

I  will grind the welds smooth and when I reset the body I will center-punch each body mount hole for drilling and tapping. Centering each tapped hole under each body mounting hole will then allow for minor adjustment ofthe body as might be required.
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

enjenjo

Restoration supply has cage nuts, and the cages, they can be welded into the frame too, and allow the nut some movement until it's tightened.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

dragrcr50

Quote from: "Charlie Chops 1940"I hate trying to put all the body bolts and nuts in by myself, and also hate calling for help. On the '32 build I also wanted to step-box the frame. I know that a lot of guys just eld a big nut up inside the frame and leave it at that. My experience with that is that I always seem to have to adjust a body hole afterwards.

I made up a bunch of 1/4" blanks 1-1/2" X 2" and beveled one long side to fit the inside upper corner of the frame rails.

I then drilled a 3/8" hole on either side of each body mount hole.

I clamped the blank inside the frame, cranked up the amps and rosette welded the blanks.

I  will grind the welds smooth and when I reset the body I will center-punch each body mount hole for drilling and tapping. Centering each tapped hole under each body mounting hole will then allow for minor adjustment ofthe body as might be required.
simple deal charlie, I too always have to make adj with the inserts welded in already
ownerWoodard racing and hot rod shop in mustang oklahoma. My  specialty is gassers &  nostalgia race cars , love the salt,