Random Winter Thoughts / Observations

Started by idrivejunk, February 13, 2021, 08:46:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idrivejunk

I walk past ye olde and wrong reducer selector each time I use the garaged car and yesterday although it was near freezing in there I noticed something that made me stop, look, think, take pic for here now and carry on...

Theres a thinner recommended for use at 35°F. :shock:

Matt

chimp koose

this week your ppg needle would have been right between the P and G on the bottom RIGHT around here ! -54C on about mid week . 8) very 8) . At this temp , boiling water tossed in the air will all turn to steam , nothing hits the ground .

kb426

I've not seen one of those. The last time I worked in a paint shop was 1972. :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

I wonder if boiling cleanup thinner hits the ground. :?  :lol:

Chills are around minus ten here. Might get enough snow to drift.
Matt

idrivejunk

Speaking of drifting, I was just out scoring tacos and spied a Panther Marquis utilizing the middle school parking lot for RWD snow play. That was the observation, the thought was hmm with EFI that could be me. :idea:  

Speaking of 1972, last night I observed the best Cannon episode yet in my binge. Frankly (pun intended) it has been a bit laborious thus far. Straight out of the gate theres Martin Sheen wrecking a Harley, a Molotov cocktail, then theres dirtbikes galore, TNT, .38 special plus full auto gunfire, good and bad bikers, and a sturdy woman with a fine shape. All that was bonus material though, I kept wondering when the new was gonna wear off the Mark IV so they could be mean to it. Half throttle reverse drop thru a garage door was the reward for my diligence. :)

There was a donut attempt, really just a dusty squealy U turn and that prompted me to investigate via wiki since theres never a peep of exhaust note from the 460 4V. Plummeting from 365 in the previous year, HP was at 212 then. While the Lincoln was the only six passenger rig among it's competitors and beat some on MPG by a nose... it was over a second slower 0-60 than the rest. Ouch.

Wanna see it now? Here-

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9IIiCoMY9jM&list=PLjQjhXGNCC86MK4h_u1Ipzi1CxE-X5LlM&index=17

That'll help pass the day if you are into that. My thought on the reducer selector is that if someone were to ask me if there are any advantages to lacquer I would have said no. But that'd be wrong. You can use it when its 40° in the booth! :lol:
Matt

idrivejunk

Left out 4x4 from that list of episode goodies... theres a moment when he leans on a square Bronco pretty hard crossing a ravine. Good cringeworthy front suspension thump. Such action! :) The budget-eating aircraft and boat bits were played out in previous episodes but this one sure packed in (relatively) the us-level gearhead stuff.

Its a boredom thread. :roll: What else do you got?:)
Matt

kb426

The brass monkey on the porch is in trouble tonight. :) I watched sewing how to videos this afternoon. How boring is that? :)
TEAM SMART

idrivejunk

Cannonballs will be rolling around the deck, eh?

I did some garment repair this week myself. Sewing by hand. :-o
Matt

idrivejunk

Observing -15 now with -24 wind chill.  :shock:  Thinking thats the coldest I have ever witnessed. Shoveled the driveway for about five minutes yesterday and that was just about a foolish move. Now heres your silence back, guys. Sorry I interrupted. :oops:
Matt

jaybee

Wow, -15 is pretty darn cold 500 miles north of you.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

idrivejunk

Definitely uncommonly wintery. Temps finally rising, hoping for just freezing by the weekend. I am back to work and boss would like to work through that. But this is the current situation at home-

Probably looks just like some of you guys' places normally do for months at a time.
Matt

chimp koose

Our snow was over a foot deep in october . Should see grass in april , I hope. Usually snows here before end of october and stays until at least late march on a nice year . I have seen it snow here in every month but july and august . Winter (snow) usually lasts for 5 months or so.

idrivejunk

Forgive me for sometimes wanting to say it, but if you take pride in those facts, I just can't understand why.

I have never heard an explanation for why anyone would want to live in a place like that. Its like when Marshall Dillon encounters pioneers living on the prairie and sticking to it. I continue to wonder. So many things, for example fuels of all kinds. So incredibly much more must be burnt. It has to cost an arm and a leg to do anything. Vehicles being destroyed by weather in such a short time, etc.

There has to be some advantage, some justification beyond blooming where you're planted. Best I can figure, it must go back thousands of years to when tribes clashed over hunting and fishing rights. Better spots to settle must have been all taken, or migratory paths of food sources must have been followed, or maybe attempts at relocation of man on foot were not survivable?

That has always been a point I ponder, especially during the forum using years of life. Very few people whose locations have more balanced seasons use them. That part I get. But people can choose where to live and that part eludes me. Probably always will. The list of things I can not understand just keeps growing and the older I get, the more mysterious things like that become.

Thats intended to convey a thought, not be a jab. So many inhabitants of the frigid north express so much frustration with conditions and remoteness of location that I just can't see how or why anyone would make it their home. So I wonder in perpetuity and urge all to pursue their own happiness, and would try to not mind somebody setting me straight. :?
Matt

enjenjo

Well the first thing, it's much easier to warm up than it is to cool off. In the south they spend as much cooling off in the summer as we do warming up in the winter.

Plus for many of us this is where our families live. I don't know about you, but I have a big family. I have 43 first cousins, and many of them live in this area.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

idrivejunk

Family is why I'm here, but theres not much left. I just gotta wonder if its the women, y'know? Could be that. Or the food. Or the combination of those. Far north or south, food gets wierd but bland is what I like, being raised in Kansas.

The climate control expense point may depend on the setup. Boss says it costs pfft nothing to run the A/C but the heat is a gigantic deal.

I know the natives were not a'feared of the cold. It takes all kinds to make the world go around but from where I sit it looks like an awful harsh environment and more dangerous and laborious way of life and its just hard not to wonder. Thats all.
Matt