47 Ford gauage/bezel/cluster question?

Started by 47wood, April 21, 2004, 06:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

47wood

I'm putting an LS1 in the 47 Ford and want to update with some electronic gauges for the 4-gauge cluster mounted just left of the speedometer.   I've been looking at some but all the small gauges I've found are 2 1/16" and the old mounting panel is only 1 13/16" wide and is cut for the old gauges that are 1 1/2 X 1 1/8.  I've seen pictures of some rods redone with small round gauges mounted there.  

Is anyone aware of a manufacture with a larger panel for the 46-48 Fords? ...and or the availability of smaller gauges?  or a panel off another year that would work for round gauges, ...or someplace that would fabricate a slightly larger panel with round holes for the larger gauges?  Thanks in advance for the help. :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

paul2748

There is a outfit that has a panel for new type guages that replaces the stock unit in 46-48 Ford, but the name escapes me.  They advertised in Street Rodder. In my 48 - before I went to digital, I used a standard guage but trimmed the sides a bit to make then fit in the stock cluster.  Also had to some trim work on the panel inside, but I don't remember all the ins and out that I had to do, but after you get the guages  trimmed you will can see what needs to be done to hold them in there.  As I recall, it was pretty simple.  Ran with the guages for about ten - fifteen years with no trouble with the guages.

47-forvette

Quote from: "47wood"I'm putting an LS1 in the 47 Ford and want to update with some electronic gauges for the 4-gauge cluster mounted just left of the speedometer.   I've been looking at some but all the small gauges I've found are 2 1/16" and the old mounting panel is only 1 13/16" wide and is cut for the old gauges that are 1 1/2 X 1 1/8.  I've seen pictures of some rods redone with small round gauges mounted there.  

Is anyone aware of a manufacture with a larger panel for the 46-48 Fords? ...and or the availability of smaller gauges?  or a panel off another year that would work for round gauges, ...or someplace that would fabricate a slightly larger panel with round holes for the larger gauges?  Thanks in advance for the help. :wink:

United Speedometer in RIverside CA (909) 684-0292 can update your original gauges with new electronics and silk-screen them to look like brand new original guages.  They can also change the background and lettering colors. They calibrate them to the sending units that you use with the LSI, change the ahm-meter to volts and rescale the temp. and oil pressure readings.  They did my cluster, the speedo and clock for a little over a grand threeyears ago.  They look and work awesomeI have a 47 ford coupe with a 302 EFI, AOD and c-4 suspension front and rear.
\\\\\\\"Zen @ 102 MPH\\\\\\\"

enjenjo

I have done it by grinding the sides of the bezels too. They will just fit.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

48ford

In the 46 i have dolphen gauges,i have an electronic speedo in place of the original,and they make a 4 gauge set for the other side ,it came out real nice.I can't post a picture as i'm still looking for the" any key" on the 'puter.
but it worked out nice
Russ&Irene

47wood

Quote from: "enjenjo"I have done it by grinding the sides of the bezels too. They will just fit.

I'm interested in this approach as I would like to use the same mounting plate if possible to keep it more original looking.  So, you ground the bezels and cut holes in the dash and the mounting plate?  After cutting the round holes in the mounting plate did the gauges actually fit through it or behind it?  I guess you're saying the lip on the gauges is small enough to fit through the mounting plate?  Thanks, :wink:
Great Grandma Lee always said;  FAIR  ...is something you pay when you get on the bus!

enjenjo

Quote from: "47wood"
Quote from: "enjenjo"I have done it by grinding the sides of the bezels too. They will just fit.

I'm interested in this approach as I would like to use the same mounting plate if possible to keep it more original looking.  So, you ground the bezels and cut holes in the dash and the mounting plate?  After cutting the round holes in the mounting plate did the gauges actually fit through it or behind it?  I guess you're saying the lip on the gauges is small enough to fit through the mounting plate?  Thanks, :wink:

What I did was to remove all the guages, along with the back of the pod, and make up a new plate drilled for the guages that would bolt on the back side of the dash, behind the stock dash face. When setting in the cars, it looks like stock guages.
Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

TooMany2count

Autometer makes a set of mini gauges, in electric & mechanical, they might work for ya....joe
for once in your miserable life do something worth while... go Donate Blood, Plasma or Platelets cause the life you save may be someone ya know & love, sign that Donor Card too..

47wood

Okay ....thanks for the responses and help.   I'll check Autometer for the small gauges.  I'm going to try and use the original stainless plate that goes over the gauges.  I'll post results down the road. :wink:

ibuildm

The company who makes the panel for the 46-48 Ford is RodTech Hot Rod Products, 1775 WhittierAve, Coasta Mesa, Ca 92627.
Their number is 949 722 1071.

47wood

Thanks ...I called Rod Tech.  They don't have a web site but are mailing their catelog. :wink:

47wood

Here is a follow-up.  I just got the Rod Tech catelog in today.  They make a really nice line of dash and dash products including knobs switches and accessories for 32 - 48 Ford cars, 35 - 37 & 40 - 47 Ford trucks, and 37 - 48 & 53 - 54 Chevys.  They feature gauge packages with VDO, Auto Meter, and Dakota Digital.  They also have gauge panels, glove box doors and clock panels.  Looks like top notch stuff from the catelog.  They don't have a web site but will send you a catelog if you'll send a stamped, self-addressed envelope (standard size) to 1775 Whittier Ave, Cost Mesa, CA.  Their phone is: (949) 772-1071.

Now for the '47 I have to decide whether to use their VDO kit that will let me stay with my stock bezel or go with their repro bezel with round holes.  They also have the Speedo & tach mounts to fit in my stock speedo and clock bezels.  (choices!!!)

I'm excited and sharing this because for the past 8 months I thought I was going to have to fabricate to get what I wanted.  Maybe this info will keep someone else from spending several hours on the internet like I did. :wink:

58 Yeoman

Cal, how are their prices? I've got a 47 dash that I'm thinking of putting in the 41 Poncho. The previous owner had installed some round gauges behind the stock panel, but I'm thinking that I'd like to replace them before I install the dash. Thanks,
phil
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil

47wood

Quote from: "58 Yeoman"Cal, how are their prices? I've got a 47 dash that I'm thinking of putting in the 41 Poncho. The previous owner had installed some round gauges behind the stock panel, but I'm thinking that I'd like to replace them before I install the dash. Thanks,
phil

Phil,

Prices seem pretty reasonable considering how good the quality looks to be.  The Polished Billet Gauge Cover for 42-48 Ford w/round holes is $90, and the Mounting Kit for VDO gauges is $45 (of course gauges are extra).  Mounting kit for VDO speedo and tach using your stock bezels (speedo & clock) is $79.95.  And their 3-piece chrome dash set for 42-48 Ford is $140 (I paid $160 from Obsolete Ford at PATE last week but did save shipping).  Let me know if there are other prices you'd like.

Cal

58 Yeoman

I think I'll send for their catalog, as I'd like to stay with the stock bezels. I bought another left side on  ebay, as the original had a broken stud. Thanks Cal.
I survived the Hyfrecator 2000.

"Life is what happens when you're making other plans."
1967 Corvair 500 2dr Hardtop
1967 Corvair 500 4dr Hardtop
Phil