Sealing battery cables

Started by phat46, March 20, 2004, 10:59:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

phat46

I'm running battery cables to the rear of my truck project today and was wondering if anyone had a good way to seal the ends at the terminals. I've had problems in the past with corrosion getting down in the cables causing starting problems.

(Edit)  I don't know why this posted twice, i tried once and saw nothing, tried refresh, nothing; closed the window and restarted; nothing. Reposted and it showed up; go to the shop for an hour and come back to see if there's any replies, and voila, two posts...

Jbird

Quote from: "phat46"I'm running battery cables to the rear of my truck project today and was wondering if anyone had a good way to seal the ends at the terminals. I've had problems in the past with corrosion getting down in the cables causing starting problems.

I normally use solder on cable ends then use some heat shrink tubing especially made for large cable. I get everthing from NAPA. The heat shrink looks way to big for the cable when you get it, but as you start shrinking it down you'll notice some sort of epoxy looking stuff liquifying inside the heat shrink. Once the heat shrink is set  it is really thick walled,  won't flex and the epoxy goop really seals the cable. Remeber to get solder "pills" sized for the cable ends and cable.
 Jbird 8)
A biblical plague would come in real handy just about now
Badges? Badges? We don\'t need no stinking Badges!!
Team Smarts official dumbfounder
The first liar ain\'t got a chance

jaybee

Quote from: "phat46"I'm running battery cables to the rear of my truck project today and was wondering if anyone had a good way to seal the ends at the terminals. I've had problems in the past with corrosion getting down in the cables causing starting problems.

My underground shop wiring has its splices insulated with shrink wrap that has a sort of gooey adhesive on the inside.  When you shrink it the clear, sticky substance seals up any tiny gaps the shrink plastic might leave.  I'm not sure where to get that sort of heat shrink tubing but it sounds just the ticket.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

jaybee

Quote from: "Jbird"

I normally use solder on cable ends then use some heat shrink tubing especially made for large cable. I get everthing from NAPA. The heat shrink looks way to big for the cable when you get it, but as you start shrinking it down you'll notice some sort of epoxy looking stuff liquifying inside the heat shrink. Once the heat shrink is set  it is really thick walled,  won't flex and the epoxy goop really seals the cable. Remeber to get solder "pills" sized for the cable ends and cable.
 Jbird 8)

Jbird, you must have been writing that as I was writing mine.  sounds like exactly the stuff I was talking about.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)