axle width

Started by trackster, September 14, 2015, 03:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trackster

Is the wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface distance the same on an S-10 disc brake rear end the same as a drum brake rear end?   Also would like a recommendation for a rear end for a 1939 Chevy sedan.   What are you all using?   Have an S-10 4x4 rear with drums available but would really like to go to discs.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!

jaybee

The information I can find says;
2wd = 54.5"
4wd = 59"
ZR2 = 63"
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

GPster

Just some bits of information I have found in my checking on S10 rear ends under frame swaps. The 4WD rear ends are wider by about 4" (noted but the years seem to make a difference in the brake hardware. I changed the rear end in the '87 GMC S15 frame under my Jeepster to the rear end from under an about '92 mini Blazer 4X4 for the added width. The newer rear end had different brake backing plates, drums, shoes and hardware because of sensors for the brake computer braking equalization (I was hoping it would have all the same parts so I could use the best parts and have spares). As far as having disc brakes on the rear end I'm of the mind set that the Emergency brakes on disc brake set-up wouldn't stop you in an Emergency.  I'm also not smart enough to change gears in a rear end that doesn't have a "pumpkin". So I guess it would be a choice of what you could use and what you want. GPster

phat rat

Joe is right about the E-brake on a disc brake set-up. At times I wish I hadn't changed over from drum to disc on the rear
Some days it\'s not worth chewing through the restraints.

Charlie Chops 1940

Some of the late model rear disc brakes are set up to set the parking brake by a pull cable. That cable also functions to adjust the calipers on the rear through regular use in some cases and in others they may adjust with use of your brakes period. Some other rear discs have a drum brake inside the rotor which the parking brake actuates - I'm thinking Ford Exploder here.

You need to explore which is which.

Us folks who live in the flat lands hardly ever use our parking brakes except where it makes sense. I have to admit I hardly ever do in the daily or my hot rods.

I had rear discs on the track roadster with a narrow S-10 rear. I home brewed brackets and used metric front calipers and later S-10 rear rotors. Parked accordingly and stayed away from the safety police.

Charlie
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail...but, a true friend will be sitting next to you saying. "Wow...that was fun!"

Poster geezer for retirement....

A Hooligan!

papastoyss

An S 10 Blazer 4wd around yr 2000 has rear disc & a drum brake emergency brake inside the rotor. Width is 59.5 or 60" hub to hub. A 3.42 ratio is common.Bear in mind this is a 7.5 ring gear unit, probably not compatible w/a heavy foot.
grandchildren are your reward for not killing your teenagers!

trackster

Thanks for all the info.  Appreciate it very much.
I am CDO, kinda like OCD, but in alphabetical order, like it should be!