Attaching fans to aluminum shroud

Started by 48builder, December 16, 2022, 04:06:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

48builder

Trying to figure the best way to attach the electric fans to my aluminum shroud. From what I can tell, I should be OK using stainless elevator bolts if I minimize the amount of "touching" between the 2. I'm thinking I'll use some fuzor glue to hold them which will act as like a gasket between the 2. Any thoughts?

Walt
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

If you are concerned about vibration, you could put grommets where the fasteners will go through. Because fans on the back side of the radiator are pulling, the suction takes a lot of the stress off from the unit. We've all seen those zip tied to a radiator so almost any method you choose should be adequate. I always use nylock nuts on something like that. If you have further thoughts, it would help to put up a pic for clarification of the components.
TEAM SMART

jaybee

One of the benefits of structural bonding adhesives is reduction of corrosion potential where it separates dissimilar metals.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

GPster

When I have to change the seat on the toilet I happen on nylon bolts and fasteners that are made of a nylon type material. They seem to be about 5/16" size and I'd guess that that is not the only use for them. Look around for something like that. GPster

48builder

I was concerned about a galvanic reaction between the bolts and the aluminum. I had not thought of nylon bolts like on a toilet. I'll look around and see what I can find. The pic shows my original plan. I figured the big surface area of the elevator bolt would give the glue plenty to hold on to. The mounting holes have room for a 5/16 bolt.
'48 Chevy Custom sedan in progress-Z28 LT1 drivetrain, chopped, shortened, too many other body mods to list
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

I have not had such a reaction using stainless on alum. but I don't keep stuff forever so maybe I'm not a good test case. LOL. It looks to me like your fan case is plastic and thus an insulator so I think you would be safe with any kind of bolt you wish. :)
TEAM SMART

enjenjo

Welcome to hell. Here's your accordion.

jaybee

Even if the dissimilar metals aren't much of an issue with your shroud, the larger surface area would allow you to glue the elevator bolts to the surface of the shroud and give you mounting studs next time you take it off.
Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer  (1902 - 1983)

48builder

Lots of great information, thanks. Will head to my favorite fastener store this week and look for some 1/4-20 stainless elevator bolts that I'll glue to the back side after making a little square hole so they won't spin in case the glue doesn't hold. With the tightness of my fans to the engine I'll probably have to take the entire thing out anyway if I ever need to take a fan off. I always tend to overbuild things.

Walt
'39 Chevy driver

48builder

Got it all set up. Went to my favorite fastener store and got SS 1/4-20 bolts. using a nylon washer between it and the aluminum. Then used flat washer and nyloc nuts on the fan side. I think it will work fine and cost me $2.89. I'll polish the shroud and be done with it.
'39 Chevy driver

kb426

TEAM SMART